FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using my TV as a second screen of my PC

<<

daej

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Using my TV as a second screen of my PC

Hello,

I can use a HDMI cable to using my TV as a second screen of my PC.

Can I use my TV as a second screen of my PC, without HDMI cable but via Serviio ?

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Re: Using my TV as a second screen of my PC

No, that's really not something a DLNA server can offer. And frankly, I can't see any value for it. I have my work laptop connected via HDMI to a 40" 4K TV as my secondary monitor and it works just fine. If it were somehow streamed through any sort of service like DLNA, there would likely be a noticeable lag between moving the mouse and seeing it move on the screen. That would make it difficult to use as the computer monitor. I can see that when I use VLC to connect to one of my media servers, and view the display on my TV as well as through the VLC app on my laptop. There's a noticeable lag between the two.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

maugaci

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm

It is not worth doing, if you want to use your TV as a monitor, I would recommend you choose to have it as a secondary screen and connect it via HDMI
<<

daej

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 pm

maugaci wrote: I would recommend you choose to have it as a secondary screen and connect it via HDMI

I know this, this is what I wrote in my post. I just don't like having an HDMI cable running on the floor of my living room.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Depending on the TV, or perhaps a device connected to the TV, there are still ways to screen mirror your PC. With a Windows 10 laptop (a desktop might work if it has a wireless adapter, but none of mine do so can't confirm), you can open the notification area (far right on the menu bar) and select Project, then select to project to another device on the network. On my network, all of my Roku devices (both players and TVs) appear as a destination. For some Roku 4K devices, you can use Apple Air Play 2, if you're using a Mac. Air Play also shows my LG and VIzio TVs as destination points, but they don't appear as a destination for a Windows 10 laptop.

And Serviio has nothing to do with any of that. As I mentioned, that's not something that a DLNA server is designed for.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

paulhenri

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 am

daej wrote:Hello,

I can use a HDMI cable to using my TV as a second screen of my PC.

Can I use my TV as a second screen of my PC, without HDMI cable but via Serviio ?
omegle ome tv
Thanks

No, it is practically not worthy., if you want to use TV as a computer monitor, I would like to recommend you to choose HDMI as their connectivity.

Return to General discussion