FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need help with Serviio.

<<

betilebra85

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:42 am

Need help with Serviio.

I was hoping there would be a Serviio subreddit, but there's only one post in there, so now I'm looking further afield, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I have a HTPC (windows 7) set up in my lounge room with a hard drive connected filled with video and music files (many different formats). Recently I purchased a smart TV with DLNA capabilities for my bedroom so I could stream from my HTPC in there.

I had a half arse muck around with both vlc and windows media server to try and get this happening but neither seemed to work, so tonight I downloaded serviio. I've added the media files to the library and the server appears on my smart TV, but when I try and select it I get the error "Loading the DLNA resource failed" and that's it.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Or point me to a better subreddit to ask in? Thanks https://9apps.ooo/
Last edited by betilebra85 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Re: Need help with Serviio.

Welcome! You've come to the right place. First, let's start off that many Smart TVs aren't very smart with DLNA. Every TV I have is "smart", but on every one I use an external player. Mostly Roku and Nvidia Shield players, depending on the room.

Now, let's look at your setup. What make/model TV is it? Serviio usually is pretty good about selecting the correct profile for the device, but sometimes it's better to select one manually. What sort of media do you have? Since it's a Windows HTPC, are some of your media recorded OTA broadcasts in the WTV container, some other container, or is it a mashup with lots of different media and containers.

Notice I use the word container. MKV, MP4, AVI, WTV, MPG, these are all containers. In some cases, the codecs within the container can vary wildly, so it isn't helpful to simply say your media is MP4 or MKV. We need to know the video and audio codecs within the containers.

It might help to troubleshoot your issue if we could see your Serviio log. You will find it under C:\Program Files\Serviio\Logs. There's a serviio.log and derby.log file. We only need to see the Serviio log.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion