FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Installer Not Working

<<

BillTalent

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:12 pm

Installer Not Working

Hello Guys,

Just trying to update to 2.3 but having a bit of a weird experience. I'm unable to open the serviio installer. I get the UAC prompt but when I click yes to install nothing happens. Does not matter if I'm using admin permissions installing under compatibility for older windows etc. Since I was having issues I tried uninstalling Serviio but now I can't even get the old installer file (2.2.1) or a fresh download of the legacy version (1.10.1). Seems to be mainly a windows issue (I'm on windows 11) but it's got me completely stumped at this point. Any help or input would be appreacited.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:51 pm

Re: Installer Not Working

I have no experience with Windows 11, as Microsoft deems every computer I have as ineligible for an upgrade. It sounds like they've made some sort of change to the User Access Control function. About all I can suggest is to open a command prompt as administrator and run the Serviio EXE from there. Sometimes that will override any permissions issue.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

BillTalent

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Not having any luck from CMD prompt. I've got an old PC that's not 11 eligible. I can test on that and follow up. I did download on my work PC just as a check and got a warning about the software but I obviously don't have admin rights there to move past it. Likely it's a windows issue like you highlighted. I'll keep plugging away and advise if I get around it somehow. Worst case I can always roll back my machine but that just seems painful for what should be a simple fix.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:07 pm

I upgraded my backup server to 2.3 yesterday without an issue. That's on the latest version of Windows 10.

Does Windows 11 have a compatibility mode to run an application so it thinks it's on an older version of Windows? It likely does. Right click on the Serviio install program and select Properties. There's a compatibility tab that allows you to select a different OS to emulate. On this Windows 10 PC, I can select Windows 8 all the way back to Windows 95. I would expect Windows 11 to have Windows 10 as an option.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

BillTalent

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:07 am

Hey I loaded 2.3 onto my old PC and had no issues. I saved the install file to a flash drive and was able to install without issue. Seems to be some problem associated with the exe being flagged in Edge when I downloaded it. Definitely a Windows 11 issue. Glad I got a workaround though. Can't install the exe from my drive but works off the flash drive no problem. Thanks for reaching out!

Return to General discussion