FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remote Roku access via mediabrowser

<<

Christiebunny

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Remote Roku access via mediabrowser

Is there a way to access Serviio remotely via a Roku TV/device?

I've got the mediabrowser set up and can access my files from any computer.... but i'm trying to find a way to share them with family, which has a roku tv. Does anyone know a way?

Ideally, a Roku ServiioGo app would be ideal, are there any plans for such, even unofficially via developer mode?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:25 am

Re: Remote Roku access via mediabrowser

No, Serviio is not accessible over the public Internet. The DLNA standard will not route across the public Internet, and that is intentional. MediaBrowser is the only way that you can access your Serviio media outside your home network, which of course requires using a web browser.

For access from a device such as a Roku, I suggest using Plex Media Server. You can run it on the same computer as your Serviio system, there's no issue there. Roku devices have a Plex channel available that permits connecting from outside your network. I travel with a Roku Stick, and that is what I use to play movies on the hotel network from my own media. When inside my firewall, Serviio is still the only way we watch our media. It has advantages over Plex in several ways. But you can use both without any problem.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Christiebunny

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:35 am

atc98092 wrote:No, Serviio is not accessible over the public Internet. The DLNA standard will not route across the public Internet, and that is intentional. MediaBrowser is the only way that you can access your Serviio media outside your home network, which of course requires using a web browser.

For access from a device such as a Roku, I suggest using Plex Media Server. You can run it on the same computer as your Serviio system, there's no issue there. Roku devices have a Plex channel available that permits connecting from outside your network. I travel with a Roku Stick, and that is what I use to play movies on the hotel network from my own media. When inside my firewall, Serviio is still the only way we watch our media. It has advantages over Plex in several ways. But you can use both without any problem.

I dumped plex for serviio because plex has ungodly levels of file bloat, it just ate space like mad. I'll take another look at it, although last I knew it needed a monthly fee too to do anything useful.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Christiebunny wrote:
I dumped plex for Serviio because plex has ungodly levels of file bloat, it just ate space like mad. I'll take another look at it, although last I knew it needed a monthly fee too to do anything useful.

Not sure what you consider "useful", but I used Plex for years without paying anything. I could always connect with my Roku while traveling. I did just finally pay for a Plex Pass, but that's a one time fee, and it really doesn't offer for me a whole lot of benefit. I just felt I should pay them something for using their software for so long. The same reason I paid for a Serviio Pro license, because I feel the developer deserves compensation for their efforts.

I do see what you mean about Plex and hard drive space. The C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex folder is quite small, but it's using almost 10 GB of space under my user account AppData folder. That would be concerning if my C: drive was space constrained, but I keep all my media on separate hard drives, and only have the OS and applications installed on a 1 TB SSD primary drive. I have over 75% free space on my C: drive, so not an issue. Serviio only uses 575 MB of drive space on my main computer, and more than half of that is for the database. But here too I have the transcoding folder moved to a separate hard drive, to keep my C: drive as uncluttered as possible.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion