FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hulu and using a proxy

<<

WildRushSykes

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Hulu and using a proxy

I have a proxy setup just for watching hulu from the uk and was wondering if its possible to use it with serviio without having to tunnel all my traffic through it like normal internet browsing and if so how :)
Serviio 1.4.1 - Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center - HP Pavillion G series - PS3 and 4 - 3TB Drive wih 500+ Bluray MKV Movies

Beta Tester and All Plugins Pack Creator

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Re: Hulu and using a proxy

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but my assumption was that for online content, serviio just provides the TV with the valid link and the TV accesses the source directly. If that is the case the proxy on the PC will do no good.

Looking at the network traffic on the PC, I do not see it accessing the content and then streaming it back to the TV.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 pm

nope would have to be a VPN connection rather than proxies for exatly the reasons jhb50 stated as tv/serviio access the content directly and doesnt pass through a browser.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

How does one create a vpn connection for the TV? Wouldn't it have to be done in the router?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

You can use something like Hotspot Shield which will enable you to get the content, but I'm not sure if your TV will be able to see Serviio on your network as you'll probably be assigned a different IP.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

I know about the tools to connect my PC to VPN but my assumption was they will have no effect on the TV. Does a VPN setup make all my local devices appear to be at the VPN IP?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:39 pm

jhb50 wrote:How does one create a vpn connection for the TV? Wouldn't it have to be done in the router?

yes exactly the router has the connection and TV connected to the router uses it just like a normal connection :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm

So please confirm these steps/assumptions:
1) On your PC Set up a VPN using a tool like Hotspot Shield, and you PC will show a Privacy Icon
2) All local devices will appear to be from a Shield IP rather than your Service Provider IP, but will retain their internal Static IP addresses.
3) If a second PC sets up a VPN to a different IP, your PC will be connected to it without warning and your Privacy icon is ???
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm

no it would have to be done from the gateway router ( the router connected to the interwebs) so that internal ips would stay the same but external ip would be say in japan or the usa.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Any guidance/tools to do this? There are a growing number of groovys that are location specific.

The alternative of course is to just stream the full screen desktop with audio as I have posted.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:27 pm

i am only providing information and as i dont know the legal consiquences of actualy doing this, i wont go into exactly how to acheive this.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

hiviking

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:48 pm

It does not have to be in the gateway router. Your mediaserver accesses Hulu via the Serviio server which runs on your computer, so if your computer uses a VPN your Hulu service will use it. I just tried it out with Version 0.6.1 and Hulu works. I used one of the feeds at http://www.hulu.com/feed. It should work with Hotspot Shield which I have used before (hate the commercials though). I logged in to Hulu first on the computer, as I didn't see a way to login via Serviio, like they have in PlayOn. Is it possible to login via a plugin?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 pm

hiviking wrote: Is it possible to login via a plugin?

No
<<

markjason

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am

I give you suggestion to watch Hulu by using paid HULU VPN, not proxies. as vpn provides you safe security. The best VPN to watch HULU is pureVPN.Go for it. !
<<

JNehru

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm

By suggestion is go with a paid VPN service which will actually help you get anonymous online. I use Hulu VPN to hide my IP address while I am streaming geo-restricted content online. With a VPN you can unblock Hulu abroad and watch US content for anywhere.
And if you are not done with it, use a Netflix VPN.
<<

alicepeter

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am

WildRushSykes wrote:I have a proxy setup just for watching hulu from the uk and was wondering if its possible to use it with serviio without having to tunnel all my traffic through it like normal internet browsing and if so how :)

Have you tried using Kodi to watch shows and stream content for free? I am using Kodi for almost a year now and I am more than happy. Here is the source: https://www.ivacy.com/blog/kodi-vpn/
<<

Harry123

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

I would suggest if you want to stream then Kodi might be your first choice as i am using Kodi for streaming since very long.
I had installed the setup of VPN for Kodi to make my streaming safe from this guide: https://www.vpnranks.com/best-vpn-for-kodi/
From now onwards i do have a freedom of streaming access with the help of Kodi all over the world.
You can watch those stuff on Kodi as well which is available on Hulu.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 am

Can any vpn shills show any proof of any anti piracy action against anyone for watching streams in the past 15 years?

For every one that you post, I'll post two articles about fools who developed legal problems when their vpn hands over logs.

Vpn = snake oil
<<

Krolik

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Harry123 wrote:I would suggest if you want to stream then Kodi might be your first choice as i am using Kodi for streaming since very long.
I had installed the setup of VPN for Kodi to make my streaming safe from this guide: https://relaska.com/setup/
From now onwards i do have a freedom of streaming access with the help of Kodi all over the world.
You can watch those stuff on Kodi as well which is available on Hulu.

I have tried - no luck :(
Unfortunately. You need to be tech savvy to manage it.
<<

derekross

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm

I have tried accessing HULU on my FireStick device by using one of the best VPN for FireStick as recommended by many review sites. Proxies do not work so well for streaming and my experience has been pretty bad with them.
Next

Return to General discussion