FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What is Serviio and how does it work?

<<

Mastiffman

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:07 pm

What is Serviio and how does it work?

I know that it streams Files but does it decode them and then send them?

Or does it Stream the Files on the Fly to a "Player" that decodes them?

Thanks!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: What is Serviio and how does it work?

Serviio is a free media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network.

and u must have read that on the main main :/ http://www.serviio.org/
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

player decodes them. player supports certain set of codecs that it can decode. If the original file is encoded using an unsupported codec it re-encodes it to a supported one first (transcoding) and then sends the result to the player
<<

Mastiffman

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Cerberus wrote:Serviio is a free media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network.

and u must have read that on the main main :/ http://www.serviio.org/

Yep, read that. but I may be misunderstanding it. If I have a TV (Smasung UN55D6000SF[DLNA Certified and manual gives files that are able to be decoded by the TV itself]) and use Serviio or Allshare, What is doing the Decoding? teh Server Software (i.e. Serviio or Allshare) on my PC or is that the Streaming Software and the TV is actually Decoding it?

Someone is telling me that these Server Streaming Programs (i.e. Serviio and Allshare) are decoding the A/V files in my MKV containers and then sending the Decoded info to be merely "displayed" by the This TV......???

zip wrote:player decodes them. player supports certain set of codecs that it can decode. If the original file is encoded using an unsupported codec it re-encodes it to a supported one first (transcoding) and then sends the result to the player

Player as in the TV, Right??? If I'm correct and it sounds like I am, I need to put someone in their "place" by evidence... This person is insulting me purposefully by telling me that I'm misunderstanding what "streaming" is. They say that Straming IS INDEED "decoding"?????
<<

zip

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Server is not decoding them, otherwise it'd have to send raw image data over the network. All it does (the simplest server you can have) is to announce a file on a URL and the TV downloads it from there (similar like clicking a link in a browser).

TV has to have the codecs to decode the file, eg mpeg2, divx, h264, etc. Some of these cost a lot of money and that's why some manufacturers only support a fraction of them and then the server has to transcode to one of the available formats the TV can decode.
<<

Mastiffman

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

zip wrote:Server is not decoding them, otherwise it'd have to send raw image data over the network. All it does (the simplest server you can have) is to announce a file on a URL and the TV downloads it from there (similar like clicking a link in a browser).

TV has to have the codecs to decode the file, eg mpeg2, divx, h264, etc. Some of these cost a lot of money and that's why some manufacturers only support a fraction of them and then the server has to transcode to one of the available formats the TV can decode.

Awesome Thank you!

Do you mind if I quote you on "AVSForum" and give a link to this thread?
<<

zip

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:29 pm

yeah, go for it :-)
<<

Mastiffman

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:42 pm

zip wrote:yeah, go for it :-)

Thank you sir!
<<

nighatwasim88

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:28 am

Mastiffman wrote:
zip wrote:Server is not decoding them, otherwise it'd have to send raw image data over the network. All it does (the simplest server you can have) is to announce a file on a URL and the TV downloads it from there (similar like clicking a link in a browser).

Awesome Thank you!
Do you mind if I quote you on "AVSForum" and give a link to this thread?

this is terrific info dud thanks dud. :geek:

Return to General discussion