FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

No thumbnails on NAS

<<

SvendDP

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 pm

No thumbnails on NAS

I hanve istalled Serviio 0.6.2 on my NAS (Synology 212+) and it works almost perfect with Samsung BD-D8200N. The only problem is that there are no thumbnails for the video files - only for the jpeg-files. If I run Serviio from my Linux computer (Ubuntu 10.4) there are thumbnails for all MP4 video files (and jpeg-files).

Why this difference? Is something missing on my NAS?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 am

Re: No thumbnails on NAS

In my instructions for the Synology package I recommend that you disable thumbnail generation for videos in the Web UI. So if they're home movies then they'll have no thumbnail. However, it will still fetch thumbnails from the online metadata repositories. Does the syno definitely have web access?
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

SvendDP

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I have used exactly the same setting as on the Ubuntu version (including activating "Generate thumbnails for local videos"). It is only home movies so I don't think web access is important. But I think the syno has web access since I have made an update of DSM and the syno synchronize the time with a NTP server.

On Ubuntu I have java 6 and on the NAS I have java 7. Is this important?
<<

SvendDP

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm

I have found out a little bit more. If videos files are placed in the folder, that is exported, thumbnails are generated. If videos are placed in a subfolder within the exported folder, no thumbnails are generated.
<<

SvendDP

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:49 am

[SOLVED] No thumbnails on NAS

I found the solution. It was not a specific NAS problem.

In Presentation section turn on on Movies. If it is diabled the videos will appear, but with some sort of standard thumbmail. If turned on ('Display catagory' or 'Display content only') a special thumbnail is generated and shown.

Return to General discussion