FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MetaData display

<<

Wingsgb

Serviio lover

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:20 am

MetaData display

It has been a few weeks using serviio now and all iv done is mess and work out the online sources.

Last night I decided to get my media collection added into serviio. I used FileBot to rename the files accordingly which worked flawlessly considering it went thro 5tb+. My question is what's the point in metadata At the moment? I know it's a good thing and holds all the relevant information but what media player devices if any that can give you that GUI display. On my devices it's still a list with just a thumbnail which isn't even the artwork. 

The only time it is displayed nicely is on the PC in program's like XBMC but that defeats the point as I got serviio so I don't have to watch my media on my pc :p 

Is this just because the tech is not quite there yet or are there devices I can buy? Instead of splashing out on these smart TVs and expensive media players it makes séance to build a little custom box for each tv and run xbmc on them. 
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 am

Re: MetaData display

you are right, most metadata is not displayed anywhere and it's up to the renderers. Title is used and some of the metadata is used for browsing for content via different categories (Genre, Actors, Series, etc).
<<

bpb

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 pm

My workaround for this issue was to view the cover art and some of the meta data on a controller. I use Kinsky http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/WikiStart which displays all my Serviio content, any of which I can send to a player that is powered on and it automatically plays it.

This is open-source software for a range of platforms. In my case I use it on my laptop or iPad to display covers and control my players over my wifi. You can also set playlists or ad-hoc queues for any player on your system. It's much better looking than a load of folders.
<<

Wingsgb

Serviio lover

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I will have a good read on there site but it just seems like its more hassle, Ino it's free but.... Can you send different files to different devices at any given time.

Iv just started looking at the Shuttle XS35GTV2, seems a reasonable price if bought without OS, HDD as i don't need them. That way I'll have my server with serviio on streaming the content to XBMC were it will be nicely displayed on each tv. I will also get to use all the addons with XBMC which will include TVCatchUp so I will have all free view channels and can do away with my monthly tv package.

Do online sources work on XBMC? I also suppose there will be less transcoding needed as the players should play all/most files being a pc theoretically
<<

bpb

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Yes you can send different files to different players at the same time. As a test the other evening I had audio playing on two devices and different films playing on two TV's and two computers. I then hammered the hard disk by playing the same movie simultaneously but at different starting points to two TV's and two computers - no problems.
<<

WildRushSykes

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm

My WDTV Live displays metadata including movie info, release date, actors, directors and cover art and gets it directly from tmdb but with serviio it only displays cover art and date which is pretty weird i would recommend to everyone to try one ive had no problems using my gen 3 model and at less than $100 (£89) in argos for you UK folks its a brilliant bit of kit and plays 99% of content natively and has inbuilt netflix bbc iplayer hulu vudu and others truly astonishing.
Serviio 1.4.1 - Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center - HP Pavillion G series - PS3 and 4 - 3TB Drive wih 500+ Bluray MKV Movies

Beta Tester and All Plugins Pack Creator

Return to General discussion