FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help needed asap please

<<

jswhu18

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Help needed asap please

Hi I'm looking at buying a synology ds212j to stream all my films music and pictures to.my Samsung smart TV and laptop. Do I just buy a nas and plug it into my router and off we go?

Will it be capable of streaming 1080p 3D films?

My TV is a PS60E550.

Also it would be a bonus to stream content to ps3, tablet and smartphone but doesn't matter if not just need my TV and laptop to be able to connect mainly.

My laptop is about 5 years old and don't know if it dnla compatible

Was going to buy nas tomorrow but.thought I would make sure it will work before I spend £250 lol

Also I'm not too good with computers so please make it as basic as possible please :)

Thanks in advance
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: Help needed asap please

You should be ok for most files with the Samsung.
<<

jswhu18

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 am

Yeah it should play them but will the 1080p 3D movies play from nas on the TV wirelessly without any stuttering etc?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 am

Not sure about wirelessly. Anyway, I think it'd be a good idea to have the NAS wired, to the router, at least.
<<

Onur

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 pm

I have a Samsung tv, connected to router with 100mbit ethernet cable and i am using serviio on a computer with wireless connection. According to my own experience with several tryouts, different wifi usb dongles and routers, i can say that you need an at least 150mbit wireless-N connection with "Excellent" or "Very good" signal strength, which is full five or four in win-7 wifi signal meter icon. This setup is required to stream 1080p blu-ray remux files with ~25+gb in size, ~35mbit video+sound total bitrate, without any stutters or connection drops. If signal strength drops to "Good" or below (3 or below in signal meter icon), you can expect stutters and dropouts. Tough, you can stream low quality videos or even 720p ones with "Good" signal strength without any problems.

This wireless setup is not that difficult to do at all. If you use a 150/300mbit wireless router with at least 2x 5dbi antennas, you can get excellent signal strength even from 10mt away behind walls or from further away if there are no barriers which can limit the wireless signal.
<<

jswhu18

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I get full 5 bar signal strength on laptop.

One quick question, how do I know what mbit my wireless router is?
<<

jswhu18

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Onur wrote:I have a Samsung tv, connected to router with 100mbit ethernet cable and i am using serviio on a computer with wireless connection. According to my own experience with several tryouts, different wifi usb dongles and routers, i can say that you need an at least 150mbit wireless-N connection with "Excellent" or "Very good" signal strength, which is full five or four in win-7 wifi signal meter icon. This setup is required to stream 1080p blu-ray remux files with ~25+gb in size, ~35mbit video+sound total bitrate, without any stutters or connection drops. If signal strength drops to "Good" or below (3 or below in signal meter icon), you can expect stutters and dropouts. Tough, you can stream low quality videos or even 720p ones with "Good" signal strength without any problems.

This wireless setup is not that difficult to do at all. If you use a 150/300mbit wireless router with at least 2x 5dbi antennas, you can get excellent signal strength even from 10mt away behind walls or from further away if there are no barriers which can limit the wireless signal.

Also does it matter on the speed of my internet?

I'm guessing it don't as I'm not downloading anything from the internet I'm just using the wireless function?
<<

Onur

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 pm

jswhu18 wrote:One quick question, how do I know what mbit my wireless router is?

You can see your max. speed in the connection status window, just click on your wireless connection icon. Both your router and your laptop`s wireless card should support 150 or 300mbit wireless connection. Tough, these numbers are theoretical maximum but in fact, even if it states 150mbit, you are usually getting a variable speed usually between 80-130mbit even with 4-5 bar excellent signal strength. Thats exactly why older generation 54mbit wireless connection is not enough to stream 1080p blu-ray remux mkv videos with ~35mbit data rate. Tough, you can stream 720p ones with 54mbit connection without any problems [assuming you have excellent signal strength with it]

jswhu18 wrote:Also does it matter on the speed of my internet?

I'm guessing it don't as I'm not downloading anything from the internet I'm just using the wireless function?

No it doesn't matter. I can watch 1080p videos on my tv, streaming with Serviio while i download torrents and fully utilize my 13mbit internet connection in the same computer. Ofc, if you have 50-100mbit internet connection, then even 150mbit wireless connection wouldn't be enough due to overload. Then you have to slowdown or stop utilizing your internet connection while streaming at the same time.

Return to General discussion