<<

TobiNat0R

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm

QNAP - How to activate HD thumbnails

QNAP NAS: TS-431P
QTS 4.3.5
Serviio 1.10.1

How do I activate HD thumbnails when using Serviio with the above mentioned system. I have set all client-profiles to "Roku 4K Media Player (2016+)" except my 2013 Samsung TV but all clients show low resolution thumbnails. When I use my old Twonky Server (8.2.1.0) HD thumbnails are no issue.

P.S. This server is exactly what I needed, thank you very much for your effort!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Re: QNAP - How to activate HD thumbnails

If you open the Profiles.xml file in the config folder, scroll down to the bottom of the generic (1st) profile. It's line 197 if you use a text editor that displays line numbers. You'll find a line that says <ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution>. Change DLNA to HD and save the file. Now the file must be reloaded, which is most easily done by rebooting the NAS. There's also a way to specify the resolution of the HD setting, but that's another file and a different setting. Normally the standard HD setting is sufficient.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TobiNat0R

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Thank you. I have found the mentioned line using the KodExplorer-App but having trouble gaining the relevant permission to change the file. Any suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:33 am

TobiNat0R wrote:Thank you. I have found the mentioned line using the KodExplorer-App but having trouble gaining the relevant permission to change the file. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with NAS OSs in general, but assuming it's running some form of Linux you probably need to set KodExplorer to use the root user to connect. I have no idea how that's done, but I'm sure there's a setting in there.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 am

i dont have nas but if it supports ssh you can do that way, but could be security risk if not set up safely.

If firmware OS lets you in root terminal use that, just be careful.

I have used only synology but it lets you use terminal and ssh and anything you want to do.
<<

TobiNat0R

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Thank you all! I managed to access the file via SSH using Cyberduck on Mac OSX. Everything seams to work fine now. :D

atc98092 wrote: [...] There's also a way to specify the resolution of the HD setting, but that's another file and a different setting. Normally the standard HD setting is sufficient.

Can you tell me which file it is? Maybe I need that in the future!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:38 pm

TobiNat0R wrote:Thank you all! I managed to access the file via SSH using Cyberduck on Mac OSX. Everything seams to work fine now. :D

atc98092 wrote: [...] There's also a way to specify the resolution of the HD setting, but that's another file and a different setting. Normally the standard HD setting is sufficient.

Can you tell me which file it is? Maybe I need that in the future!

I had to move to one of my Serviio computers to remember where it is. :D

In the /Serviio/Bin folder, there is a file named ServiioService.exe.vmoptions. I am assuming it is named the same regardless of the operating system. Open this file in a text editor and add the following line:

Code:
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

Don't forget the dash (-) at the beginning of the line. You can change the 1000 to something larger or smaller. Just be aware that the larger the number the more space your thumbnails take in the database. After making this change, you have to restart the NAS to have it take effect. Note that this doesn't change any images that have already been downloaded. I believe to refresh existing images you have to rescan your metadata. There's a button for this in the console on the Metadata tab.
Dan

<<

TobiNat0R

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 pm

atc98092 wrote:
In the /Serviio/Bin folder, there is a file named ServiioService.exe.vmoptions. I am assuming it is named the same regardless of the operating system. Open this file in a text editor and add the following line:

Code:
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

Don't forget the dash (-) at the beginning of the line. You can change the 1000 to something larger or smaller. Just be aware that the larger the number the more space your thumbnails take in the database. After making this change, you have to restart the NAS to have it take effect. Note that this doesn't change any images that have already been downloaded. I believe to refresh existing images you have to rescan your metadata. There's a button for this in the console on the Metadata tab.

Hey, just a quick update for all that are interested: In the/my QNAP-Version of Serviio there doesn't seem to be anything as described above (or at least I couldn't find it). It seems that this version specifies image resolution a few lines above the one that I had to change:

Code:
"Standard profile":

Line 186     <AllowedImageResolutions large="4096x4096" medium="1024x768" small="640x480" />
Line 197     <ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution>

Over the rest part of the profiles.xml document the code differs between the use of DLNA or HD respective to the relevant profile, but resolutions for DLNA are different than above. Namely large="4096x4096" medium="1024x1024" small="800x800" for DLNA and large="4096x4096" medium="1920x1920" small="1280x1280" for HD.

I have changed both lines for the standard profile to HD specs and I now use specifically created thumbnails with a resolution of 1280x1280 instead of various sized thumbnails. This has caused a major increase in image quality.
<<

Bill

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Thank you for the detailed information. I have implemented all of the suggestions but the quality of the thumbnails is still lacking. I downloaded Universal Media Server for comparison. Playing the same music file using UMS, the album art is sharp and crystal clear whereas in Serviio it is not. This is the one aspect of Serviio that is disappointing. It is otherwise an awesome program.

Bill
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 am

Bill wrote:Thank you for the detailed information. I have implemented all of the suggestions but the quality of the thumbnails is still lacking. I downloaded Universal Media Server for comparison. Playing the same music file using UMS, the album art is sharp and crystal clear whereas in Serviio it is not. This is the one aspect of Serviio that is disappointing. It is otherwise an awesome program.

Bill

After you made the changes, did you do a forced rescan of your media files? In the Serviio console on the Metadata tab, click the button labeled "Rescan Video Metadata". That's the only way to update the images that are already stored in the database. Just changing the settings as mentioned does nothing for existing files.
Dan

<<

Bill

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:44 pm

The light bulb came on last night! But "rescanning video metadata" did not improve the display of album art embedded in mp3 files. Instead I deleted each of the folders in the library and then added each folder back. It took about 14 hours to complete. Album art display is now HD and quite acceptable. Why not make this the default for the generic profile?

Thanks,
Bill
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Bill wrote:The light bulb came on last night! But "rescanning video metadata" did not improve the display of album art embedded in mp3 files.
No, as it states, it’s for Video only. Maybe request it via bitbucket.

Why not make this the default for the generic profile?
Because it increases the library size and may not be supported for all devices.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

agisthos

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:04 pm

Changing the profile.xml file from DLNA to HD improved things a bit, album artwork is now just blurry, no longer a pixelated mess.

But I cannot for the life of me find this ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in the QNAP file system. Not even via filesearch.
Can someone with a QNAP NAS point out the path for me?
Perhaps things have changed with recent updates and its called something else?

Every other DLNA server supports high res album artwork. Considering Serviio is WAY more user friendly than all of them, its a shame this basic feature is not just implemented as a switch in the GUI console.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 pm

agisthos wrote:Changing the profile.xml file from DLNA to HD improved things a bit, album artwork is now just blurry, no longer a pixelated mess.

But I cannot for the life of me find this ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file in the QNAP file system. Not even via filesearch.

Every other DLNA server supports high res album artwork. Considering Serviio is WAY more user friendly than all of them, its a shame this basic feature is not just implemented as a switch in the GUI console.

If you are using Serviio 2.3, you can now set the HD resolution within the Serviio console, and no longer need to edit the vmoptions file. It's at the bottom of the Metadata page in the console in a menu labeled Advanced Settings that you have to open.
Dan

<<

agisthos

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:23 am

atc98092 wrote:
agisthos wrote:Changing the profile.xml file from DLNA to HD improved things a bit, album artwork is now just blurry, no longer a pixelated mess.

If you are using Serviio 2.3, you can now set the HD resolution within the Serviio console, and no longer need to edit the vmoptions file. It's at the bottom of the Metadata page in the console in a menu labeled Advanced Settings that you have to open.

Thanks, right, I missed it because its greyed out as if its not accessible. But the options tree opens if the arrow icon on the right is clicked.

Return to Serviio Support & Help