FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TVDB - DVD Ordering option

<<

Lucas Kell

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 pm

TVDB - DVD Ordering option

Hi
I was wondering if there's an option somewhere to set the TVDB metadata lookup to use DVD ordering instead of the default ordering? If you look at Firefly, for example, the order it was aired was completely different to how it is on my blu-ray (and the aired order makes no sense to the overall storyline). This means that when I add the episodes to Serviio in the correct order, they show up with the incorrect names when showing in the menu.

Is there an option hidden in the settings somewhere for me to change this, or any way for me to mark the series folder name so that it fetches the correct order?

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 am

Re: TVDB - DVD Ordering option

No, there's no option for that. When I find the order on the disc doesn't match their actual episode number, I just rename the files correctly and all is well. If you follow the naming convention of "show name - SxxExx - episode name" you should be fine. Are you naming your files in a different manner?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Lucas Kell

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 am

I'm naming them correctly, the problem is that the metadata is overriding what I'm naming them.

So in the case of Firefly, the first episode on the Blu-Ray (and in story order) is "S01E01 - Serenity". I name it as such, but because they were aired out of order in the US, the order on TVDB says the first episode is "The Train Job" so my Serviio shows "01. The Train Job", even though that's actually episode 2 on the Blu-Ray.

If I can't load the DVD ordering either I have to ignore them being named wrong and given the wrong thumbnails by Serviio, or I have to name them in the aired order, which is nuts. Basically the aired order was 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1, 13, 11, 12.

Is there a way for me to tell it to use local metadata instead for those episodes rather than look it up online? Or will it always prefer TVDB over local?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Lucas Kell wrote:Is there a way for me to tell it to use local metadata instead for those episodes rather than look it up online? Or will it always prefer TVDB over local?

I thought this was something that could be enabled/disabled at the shared folder level in the Serviio library. OK just found it. Create a new Library shared folder that isn't under your existing folder(s), and uncheck the box that says "Retrieve descriptive metadata". However, I can't say if it will then show embedded metadata, or simply just show the file name with no metadata at all. I use it on a folder that contains a handful of video test clips, and none of them contain metadata. All I see is the file name. I have no idea if it will read .nfo files or some other local metadata source.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Lucas Kell

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Yeah it seems like it won't load data that way, so then I don't get thumbnails or friendly names. It also doesn't seem to show under "series" if I do that, and as this is not the only series with this problem I'll end up with various shows split across the browser.

It's really frustrating because the data exists, TVDB has the correct order and it gets sent across by the API, just for some reason aired order is default for Serviio even though it's more likely that you'll be serving up DVD content than TV recordings.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Seems like a good idea - why not raise a bit bucket request for it. Question though - do all series have both an "Aired order" and a "DVD order"... what about series that never make it to DVD?

Perhaps a tick box option in the console under "Descriptive metadata" to "Use DVD Series order where available".
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Lucas, not to beat a dead horse, but why not name the files based on the episode they contain? I guess that's where I'm confused. When I had episodes that weren't in order on the disc, I simply named them based on the actual episode. I recognize how easy it is to use Filebot to name them straight off the disc, as it does allow switching between disc order and broadcast order. But I'd rather take the time and just name them to match the actual episode. Am I missing something obvious that's hitting me between the eyes? :lol:
Dan

<<

Lucas Kell

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Yeah no worries. I am naming them correctly, but the aired order is broken.
I'm not sure how to explain it any better than I have.

I name the first Episode on the Blu-Ray Firely S01E01 - Serenity. That is the correct name of the episode and the correct order in which it should be played. Serviio then fetches the metadata for S01E01 aired order, which is The Train Job (which is episode 2 on the Blu-Ray and in story order), so Serviio shows me "S01E01 - The Train Job", this is the incorrect name for the blu-ray order.

If you are suggesting that I take Episode 1 off the Disc and name it based on the aired order (so S01E11 - Serenity) then the story makes no sense as the aired order was all over the place. That would mean that 11 episodes into the TV show half of the characters from all 10 previous episodes meet for the first time.

Kodi gives an option to pick DVD order from TVDB and this fixes the problem. It would be good if Serviio did the same.

Return to Serviio Support & Help