FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ServiioService CPU usage very high

<<

sol3au

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 am

ServiioService CPU usage very high

I installed Serviio but noticed my CPU runs at 100% all the time now and everything is slow. I tracked it down to ServiioService which is using 97% of CPU, even though it is not being used at all. I disabled the library update in the serviio console completely and restarted the service but it did not help. I changed the logging to DEBUG but apart from some communication with the renderers serviio seems to be doing nothing. So why does it need to use so much CPU?
Anyone can help?
Attachments
serviiolog.zip
Serviio debug log
(203.2 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
serviioservice_cpu_usage.png
Task manager screenshot
serviioservice_cpu_usage.png (57.93 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Re: ServiioService CPU usage very high

When Serviio is first installed, it takes some time to catalog the media libraries. Depending on the number of files you have, that can take some time (user users have reported more than a day). While that is going on, the CPU usage will be quite high. If it remains high after a day or two, then perhaps something else might be happening. But on both computers that I have Serviio running on, there's no CPU load at all when not streaming something.

I just logged into my test server, and watched the CPU load by Serviio. It shows two instances of the service running. One is constantly showing zero CPU, and only uses a tiny amount of memory. The main process I see it bouncing between 0 and 0.8%, so virtually no load at all. Give yours a little time and see if it completes it's initial configuration and settles down.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sol3au

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 am

Re: ServiioService CPU usage very high

Serviio was displaying the files which it was indexing in the console and it stopped displaying these notifications and check of the media available via Serviio confirmed that the library build is finished, yet the CPU was still 100%. But I think I figured out what the cause was. I deleted a directory on the indexed drive that had a lot of small files and it looks like Serviio has gone crazy removing the previously indexed files from its library. The deletion process must be CPU intensive and very time consuming. It took Serviio longer to process deletion of one directory than it took to index the entire HDD.

I could not find any information in the log to tell me what Serviio was doing. There should be some indication somewhere that database delete is taking place, especially since it took 3 days to complete and took 100% of my PC's CPU for the entire time! I reduced Serviio priority to low, that mitigated the problem somewhat. In any case the CPU usage is back to 2% now 8-)

Return to Serviio Support & Help