FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Scheduling Serviio uptime on UNRAID

<<

freedomfries

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Scheduling Serviio uptime on UNRAID

I'm new to Unraid and Serviio... I wanted to have a DLNA friendly media server that my stereo could connect to, while supporting OGG vorbis files serving, which many DLNA implementations don't. Serviio did the trick!

One thing I noticed is that when serviio is running, my disk array never spins down anymore. It is set to spin down after an hour of being 'idle', meaning no connections to the array. I tried to turn off the constant scanning done by unchecking "keep library automatically updated" on my server, but that did not make a difference.

I'd like to be able to spin down my array at night, or when no one is using the server for a while. Is there a way to configure serviio to either not interfere with Unraid's array settings or to schedule the server to stop/restart at set times in the day (for instance at night?)

Thanks for suggestions.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: Scheduling Serviio uptime on UNRAID

I can't think of anything within Serviio that would allow it, but then I've seen times that when I was accessing a hard drive with some of my media it had to spin up before the files appeared. But that's with Windows, not a NAS OS.

If you are OK with Serviio not even running at certain hours, I would expect there should be some way to schedule the service to close and open as desired. I know nothing about UNRAID, so I wouldn't know where to begin looking for such a setting. If the OS is Linux based (I have no idea), then you could probably set up a CRON schedule to do it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freedomfries

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you for responding. I'll keep tinkering with it but I'm guessing scheduling a shut down and startup of the Docker is the way to go.
There is an option to stop Serviio from serving files, which makes the server invisible on the network, but the docker still runs, and after testing I concluded that some process is still keeping the array spun up. So stopping the docker is the only solution.

Alternatively, I found an android app that lets me remote control basic aspects of unRAID from my tablet, which I also use to control my stereo. So, I can stop/start Serviio at will from this whenever I want to use it to stream music. It's less automated, but eh.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:04 pm

The "Stop Server" button in the Serviio console only disables the DLNA broadcasting, so it's not able to stream media. But it does not alter the operation of the underlying Serviio service, so whatever is causing the hard drives to be spooled up would still be there. So yes, stopping the process through the Docker would be the way to go.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freedomfries

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:44 pm

I'm looking at the script scheduler plugin to run "docker start/stop" commands on a cron schedule.

Return to Serviio Support & Help