FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Re: How to: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

No, there is no setting in the Serviio console that controls thumbnail resolution. Only those two changes (changing DLNA to HD in the specific profile, and adding the setting in the vmoptions file) have any control over the image quality, to the best of my knowledge. I agree you have a noticeable drop in quality between those two images. I have my setting at 1000, and I don't see that quality level on my images. They are all sourced from Internet metadata repositories, so no idea what the original native resolution is for the images themselves.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 am

I think there are other parameters that affect the quality of thumbnails. In fact, this is an algorithm for creating graphic files from the original cover file. The server developers should know this. Can you contact them?
This is not a question of my personal preferences, but of compliance with quality standards. When listening to music through various streaming services Tidal, Qobuz, covers of perfect quality are loaded into the application, so using a DLNA server from Serviio there is an expectation of appropriate quality.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 pm

The DLNA standard, which is what Serviio is built on, doesn't have a very high quality setting for thumbnail resolution. The Serviio developer (Zip is the only and only developer) added the ability to increase the resolution beyond the DLNA spec. Only he can determine if he can go beyond what has already been added. It might also be a limitation of the Java programming language, but that's merely a guess on my part. I have some programming experience, but none with Java.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am

If the DLNA QNAP server generates high-resolution thumbnails, then the DLNA standard allows it. If your knowledge of JAVA programming is not enough,
let's invite developers to the dialogue. Is it possible to contact them? ZIP is actively debating in other forum branches. Is there any way I can contact him?
Will he be able to answer something in this topic?

Are there any other ways to solve this issue besides contacting through this support forum?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:42 pm

You can send Zip a private message through the forum here. That's the only way I have for contacting him.
Dan

<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:38 am

I wrote to the ZIP by e-mail and in personal messages of the forum - there is no response.

In the Serviio version for Windows 10, everything works as it should. In the Serviio version for Qnap,
the maximum quality of thumbnails is not obtained.
<<

braunsch

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 am

Same problem here… Just no luck with all the parameters.
I did set change the thumbnail size in the profile file from DLNA to HD, and I added a parameter to the startup parameters of the Serviio server:
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResoultion=1200
I then went to remove all content from the server (moved the music file folder away, forced the server to refresh, restarted the server, restarted the Serviio Control app), then added all my music files back in… quite the procedure…

The results were disappointing.

I am using the Denon/Marantz HEOS app as my control point, which works quite well for me and is integrated with my receiver (which is also the renderer).

Here is a comparison from connecting to Minimserver:
75C1BE94-4745-4AD3-8BAE-74CF037C83FC.jpeg
From Minimserver
75C1BE94-4745-4AD3-8BAE-74CF037C83FC.jpeg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 15033 times

And here is the same view, when using Serviio. I’m just looking at the white text at the bottom:
B92B2A6D-436B-4C29-B866-AF6784ADF2EF.jpeg
From Serviio
B92B2A6D-436B-4C29-B866-AF6784ADF2EF.jpeg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 15033 times

It’s easy to see that there is more potential (and, no, Minimserver does not require any configuration, it just happens - but the program has other problems…)

I wish we could be heard and Serviio updated with something that works as a “no-hands-involved” solution
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:44 pm

@braunsch, are those images from your TV screen, or from a web based application (such as MediaBrowser)? Just want to make sure where they came from.

Are you using the Generic profile for your Denon, or a more specific one? I do see a Denon AVR profile, but it doesn't contain a <ThumbnailsResolution> section, so perhaps it's being overridden by a setting elsewhere. Maybe it would help to add <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution> to the Denon AVR profile as the last line in the profile. I've never tried using my Yamahas as a music player/renderer, so no idea exactly how they might handle thumbnails.
Dan

<<

braunsch

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:16 pm

atc98092 wrote:@braunsch, are those images from your TV screen, or from a web based application (such as MediaBrowser)? Just want to make sure where they came from.

Dan - Thank you for your reply.

The screenshots are taken from my iPad - which I use as the control point. Cropped, to make it more visible what the problem is.
These particular ones are from the HEOS app, but I see the same difference when using the Lumin app.

These apps are my control point - and on the control point I should see maximum quality regardless of the capability of the renderer (e.g. my Marantz AVR).

I don't think this is related to any renderer profile Denon/Marantz or generic: The Lumin software allows me to browse my music and see the cover art from the library even without telling it on which device to play it (= without picking my AVR as the renderer).

When going all the way and looking at the TV image generated by the AVR/receiver/renderer while playing the music I still see a difference (serving from Minimserver, I can read the white text; serving from Serviio, I can not) - but it's not that obvious because it's a small section of the screen only - and typically, while listening to music, the TV stays off.

Two more screenshots (crops), this time from the Lumin app. When using Serviio, I have a hard time reading what I'm listening to :)

Georg

Untitled-minim.jpg
Minimserver
Untitled-minim.jpg (130.52 KiB) Viewed 15021 times

Untitled-Serviio.jpg
Serviio
Untitled-Serviio.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 15021 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah, that quality if image would be annoying. I know nothing about how renderers work, so hopefully Zip will respond here with some ideas. He's the developer, so perhaps it's a Java limitation. Serviio runs mostly on Java, and I know he occasionally runs into issues like this.
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:53 pm

Misficear wrote:How To Change Server Name
Create New Directory for Uploads

No, that has nothing to do with the server naming. The server name that appears as a source is controlled in the profiles.xml file, as already explained.
Dan

<<

mikehd

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:18 pm

With V2.3 I see we now have an Advanced Setting for Max Resolution of HD Cover Art and checkbox to enable "Always serve HD cover art". With these changes do the user.vmoptions and the profiles.xml need to modified as described earlier in this thread?
Windows 10 garage server running Serviio 2.3 listening on BubbleUPnP through a WiiM streamer
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:08 pm

No, the previous solutions are no longer required for v2.3.
Dan

Previous

Return to Serviio Support & Help