FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mapped Network Drive not visible

<<

Snyper912

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Mapped Network Drive not visible

I have a FREENAS system on my network. I've mapped it as a drive on my PC. (Drive Z:) When I attempt to add a shared folder, drive Z: does not appear in my options. Only the locally installed drives do.

Is there another way to add the folder?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Mapped Network Drive not visible

Serviio does not (by default) run under your user login account, but instead uses the Local System account. It cannot see a drive mapping created under your user account. You need to use the UNC address (\\Nas_name\folder_share). You also may need to change the account that Serviio uses to run, as Local System has very few network permissions. Most people find they can't access the NAS share without changing it, regardless of the permissions set on the NAS.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Snyper912

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Thank you for the reply! I simply changed the "Log On" user for the Serviio service to my Windows login instead of "local service." It is now scanning the networked drive!

Thanks again! :D
<<

bgaherty

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:55 pm

How do you change the "Log On" user for Serviio? I have the same issue with mapped drives not showing up.
<<

bgaherty

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:27 pm

bgaherty wrote:How do you change the "Log On" user for Serviio? I have the same issue with mapped drives not showing up.

Nevermind...I figured it out.
<<

tonster76

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:01 pm

atc98092 wrote:You need to use the UNC address (\\Nas_name\folder_share). You also may need to change the account that Serviio uses to run, as Local System has very few network permissions.

Awesome thanks - that works!
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:08 pm

idk of its processing power or network latency too high but I did this with a mapped share on old hardware and it was jittery video / audio for anything higher than dvd bitrate :|

Lol it's not that much more work to put a big enough drive or array in a desktop and serve through gigabit ethernet, that works much better imo.

ymmv
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 am

freaknik wrote:idk of its processing power or network latency too high but I did this with a mapped share on old hardware and it was jittery video / audio for anything higher than dvd bitrate :|

Lol it's not that much more work to put a big enough drive or array in a desktop and serve through gigabit ethernet, that works much better imo.

ymmv

What's always concerned me with using a NAS for my media storage is the data transfer. When I tested Serviio on a Linux box and "mapped" a media store on another computer, I could see the data leave the media store, arrive in the Linux box, then stream back out of Linux/Serviio to the player. So the network is handling the data twice, and using double the bandwidth. While I have wired Gigabit, that could easily swamp a network with multiple players calling for media.

I have four 5 TB hard drives in my primary Serviio PC, and store all my media there. Just seems simpler. Yeah, it's a big case (full size tower) but I switched the OS drive to an SSD recently, which helped reduce the noise and heat a little. The computer I'm using right now I just switched to an SSD as well recently, and I can't even hear it running. Just a faint hum from the CPU fan. The power supply fan is very quiet, and even through there's still three hard drives in it it's just so quiet. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

squadjot

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:20 pm

bgaherty wrote:How do you change the "Log On" user for Serviio? I have the same issue with mapped drives not showing up.

I'd like to know.. could someone explain it pls
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 pm

I can only describe the process for Windows. Serviio runs as a service, using the Local Service user account. This account has very limited privileges. To change the user account used by the service, you open the Services applet (it's under Administrative Tools), find Serviio in the list, and double-click it. In the window that opens, there's a Log On tab. On that tab, there's a radio button for using the Local System account (which is what Serviio is probably using), and a second one that permits using a different account. Enter the user account name (use the Browse button to find it if needed), then enter the password in the boxes shown. Note that it does not validate the password when you enter it, so make sure you have it correct. Then restart the service to use the new user account. Use the Stop and Start buttons on the General tab.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help