FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kaspersky Deleting Installer

<<

Marius82

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:24 am

Kaspersky Deleting Installer

Howdy,
Anybody else have issues with Kaspersky blocking and deleting the Serviio2 installer - its detecting some kind of adware in it? :shock:
(kind of a turn off if you just bought a new license and tried to upgrade your v1 to v2)

I got round it by disabling my AV for the installer download and installation process - after I finished installing it, I turned the AV back on and it had no complaints about the installed version...it just hates the installer EXE and immediately deleted it again. :?
Attachments
kasperskyError.png
Kaspersky notification
kasperskyError.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Re: Kaspersky Deleting Installer

Unfortunately, many anti-virus programs will send a false alert on some install programs. Serviio certainly isn't the only one. I've seen suggestions from many companies saying to disable AV while installing their program.

I've been using Serviio for close to 10 years, and I am absolutely certain there's no adware within it. :D I have complete confidence in the developer and don't believe there's anything bad within the code.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

nyanta

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi, I had the same issue. Well, almost the same.

To start with, it was Google Chrome that was blocking the download of serviio-2.2-win.setup.exe with a "Failed - Virus detected" message. I managed to get around this by using Firefox. Once the file had been downloaded it was the turn of Kaspersky to remove the file into quarantine. All this messing around was frustrating and time consuming.

Kaspersky is usually very reliable at weeding out false positives so I contacted them to see what they made of this file. They've asked me to upload it to them so they can analyse it - which is what I've done. I'll report back once I've had an update. For this reason I have not released this file from quarantine and installed it yet.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:54 am

Back when I was a medical center IT manager, I used Kaspersky for a couple of years. While this was many years ago, false positives were something that I encountered on occasion. I don't believe there's anything "bad" in the Serviio install. Perhaps it's the function that can open the required ports in the firewall that is triggering the positive alert. It's something necessary for Serviio to work, but it's not malware.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

nyanta

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:23 pm

With all due respect, "I don't believe....." and "Perhaps it's" don't fill me with confidence. Sounds like you've no more idea as to why Kaspersky and Google Chrome are restricting access than I do. Would be nice to actually here something from the developer on this matter. Personally, I'm not taking the risk until I have some hard facts.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Since I'm not the developer, I can't state something like that for a fact. But I've been using Serviio for almost 10 years. None of the AV products I've ever used at home have ever alerted on Serviio, either the installer or once it's in use. I might be saying "I believe", but I'm saying that in the strongest possible terms. Since the developer is in London, and I'm on the west coast of the US, I've naturally never met the man. But I see nothing in his software or his actions that would lead me to believe there's some hidden, nefarious software code in there.
Dan

<<

nyanta

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I had no doubt that you truly believed the good intentions of the developer, based on years of previous experience. I suppose I was just a little wary based on my own experience of Kaspersky more often than not getting things right. As a result, I decided to err on the side of caution. I suppose I did hope the developer would step in and provide some form of response....

Anyway, I come bearing good news. I did follow this up with Kaspersky and, to be fair to them, they investigated this very quickly indeed. After providing them with a link to the exe they passed it on to their virus investigation team and they quickly got back to me to confirm it was "false detection". I waited a few hours and then updated my Kaspersky virus definitions and tried downloading again. This time it didn't complain about the file :)

Case closed. Thanks for your help.

Return to Serviio Support & Help