FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Does Not Remove Items from Database

<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Serviio Does Not Remove Items from Database

I am running Serviio 2.1 in a jail on a Truenas server.
All storage inside the jail is case sensitive.
The videos are stored in a dataset that is dedicated to Serviio which is NOT case sensitive.
The videos dataset is shared via SMB for us windows folks.
Serviio's shared folder is /mnt/videos and is case sensitive since it is in the jail.
There is a mount point connecting "/mnt/pool/eds/video" (the video storage dataset) to "/mnt/pool/iocage/jails/serviioj/root/mnt/videos" inside the jail where Serviio thinks that the videos are stored.

So, here is the issue. Somewhere deep in my videos hierarchy, I renamed a folder from "Misc" to "MISC". Then I did a "Force Refresh".
The refresh ran for quite a while as file names whizzed by in the balloon tips.
In the end, the file count went up by thousands and now I can watch all of those miscellaneous videos either through a "Misc" folder or through a "MISC" folder.
To be clear, the Roku now displays both "Misc" and "MISC" and all files in either "Misc or MISC" are identical and can be viewed without error.
Serviio has now duplicated the entire tree that resides below "Misc".

There are not two folders. There is only one that was renamed from "Misc" to "MISC"

My question: Is there any way to fix the database short of removing and then re-adding Serviio's shared folder "/mnt/videos" back in.
The removing takes hours and the adding back in takes 'till tomorrow to accomplish.
All amid the screams of "Serviio's broken" from the family.

Thank You
<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:15 pm

Re: Serviio Does Not Remove Items from Database

I renamed "MISC" back to "Misc" in the hope that it would fix it.
Serviio removed 32 of the 48 folders that it showed residing in the "MISC" folder.
So I still have two folders when browsing.
It shows a nonexistent "MISC" folder with 16 subfolders and the correct "Misc" folder with 48 subfolders, as it should be.
Even more confounding is that the 16 subfolders that remain in the nonexistent "MISC" folder are not the first 16 folders alphabetically.
The erroneous subfolders are a distribution among the first 20 actual subfolders.
I have hit the Force Refresh button several time since and it does not remove anything further.
All for now.
<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 pm

This time I went to a "Misc" folder located elsewhere in the tree with only a handful of files in it.
I renamed it to "MISC", refreshed and there it was, "MISC and "Misc".
I renamed "MISC" to "MISC1" and refreshed.
Then I had only "MISC1", "Misc" was gone.
Then I renamed "MISC1" to "MISC" and refreshed.
It took a few minutes but, ultimately, "MISC1" disappeared to leave only "MISC" as desired.
I checked again after all this time and I still have the nonexistent "MISC" folder with 16 subfolders and the correct "Misc" folder with 48 subfolders.
This time I renamed the 48 subfolder "Misc" folder to "Misc1" and refreshed.
I will have to wait a few hours to see the result.
All for now.
<<

eewiz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm

After waiting for the refresh I saw only a "Misc1" folder.
I renamed the "Misc1" folder to "MISC" and refreshed.
When the refresh was finished I saw only a "MISC" folder and it had all 48 subfolders, WooHoo.
The count of files in the database has returned to the original count before Serviio erroneously duplicated all the files in "Misc" while adding "MISC" to its database.

I can't tell you how this responds on a windows system with case insensitivity. I no longer host Serviio on a windows platform.
It appears to me that whether it be windows or BSD all Serviio had to do was ensure that the folder name displayed was changed from "Misc" to "MISC".
Unless, it is assuming case insensitivity in a BSD jail, then all paths residing below "Misc/.." in the database would have to be changed to "MISC/..".
But, if it knew it had to do all that, why did it not know that it had to then remove all the "Misc/.." paths.
And come to think of it, remember that originally all 48 subfolders below "Misc" and "MISC" were functional.
I would assume that Serviio did not alter all of the original "Misc/.." paths in its database as it added all of the new "MISC/.." paths to the database.
So, since all videos tested that displayed below either "Misc" or "MISC" were functional, then the only conclusion that could possibly be reached is that Serviio is operating in a case insensitive mode.

None of this makes any sense to me after trying to stick my hand in the black box and feel what is there.
I guess the lesson that I have learned is, never change the case only of a folder.
Change the case and add an extra character then refresh and wait until done. Remove the extra character then refresh and wait until done.

All for now

Return to Serviio Support & Help