FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Web Streaming To TV: A Working Method And Help!

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am

Web Streaming To TV: A Working Method And Help!

Hi
I have been using Serviio for many years to play movies from my PC to my TV. This works very well.
I have tried to add web streaming to Serviio to watch occasional sports: this years Champions League Final for instance which comes from a bonafide YouTube channel from BT Sports, so nothing dodgy!
I have found many help videos and instructions,and consulted the Serviio plugins forum but they all appear to offer different ways for older versions of software with non working links, and I cannot get anything to work as expected.

Basically, I have downloaded the 'YouTube.groovy' plugin and added it to the serviioo/plugins folder.
I then have obtained the source url (using several firefox plugins) and used the settings: see the attached image file.
When I save I get 'provided url is not valid'.
When I go to the Serviio library options on my TV (Panasonic TX-55GZ950B) I get an additional 'online' folder, but this has no content.
I have also tried some other suggestions and YouTube websites, but I cannot get anything to display.
I know the TV has a YouTube web channel I can use, but this has an awful interface and takes ages to enter the web address, so I want something easier and repeatable.

Would someone please advise what I should expect to see in the 'online' folder and what I am doing wrong!

I even tried this serviio forum entry: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24428.
But all I get is an invalid url popup!
Does anyone have a working website I could try?
regards and thanks
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (81.01 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 27, 2022 1:42 pm

Re: Web Streaming To TV: A Working Method And Help!

Google keeps changing the way you connect to their streams, so you might not have the correct YouTube.groovy file. I realize it's really long, but you need to review the forum thread about how to make it work correctly. Pay attention to the last 5 pages or so of the thread. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3276
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, but the link provided just supports my frustration with this process.

As stated there are many reports but most have really old information with broken links. This is one of them!
I have already looked at this link:
The easiest way to add YouTube feeds to Serviio is by using this Firefox plugin.
Links to a webpage with no content! Does not state what the plugin is called, so useless information!

This plugin utilises the YouTube API v3, which allows it to browse these resources.
Other Serviio forum entries state you do not need an API when using the groovy plugin! So why install it?
Why would I need a Firefox plugin for streaming anyway? What if I use Edge or Chrome? What use would this be to me then?
Doesn't the fact that Serviio provides a stream from a url address mean it should be browser independent?

Use this URL as the resource URL: https://www.googleapis.com/youtube/v3/v ... ostPopular.
Reports the request is missing a valid API key!
How does this provide a link to a specific YouTube webpage I am trying to stream?

All other information on the link provided is not applicable for YouTube videos and therefore has been ignored.

The groovy file, which, according to the above is not needed at all, is the latest I can find.
Multiple plugins forum links go to this version.
What would the best link be to get the latest Serviio approved version?

Also I don't understand why Serviio rejects all websites reported as working by others.

If things have changed, then why can't Serviio create a revised working method?
If things have changed then surely someone in Serviio has an idea as to how to get Serviio working with current streaming methods!
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Sat May 28, 2022 3:04 pm

Let me try and break this down and come from a different perspective.

The Servvio webpage:
https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... 42#plugins

Describes how to create a music stream.
Using the information provided, Serviio confirms the stream is active.
I can also confirm this by going directly to the website:
http://listener3.mp3.tb-group.fm/tb.mp3
and listen to music on my PC.

So how do I get Serviio to stream music from the online folder on my TV which states 'this operation is not possible'?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat May 28, 2022 3:35 pm

I have no experience with the YouTube plug-in, and very little experience with any of the others. I can't provide any assistance beyond what I already mentioned. As I said, Google keeps changing the method of connecting to their service, and it's entirely possible they've broken access again.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:36 pm

I don't believe nobody has managed to find a method that works!

Return to Serviio Support & Help