FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

systemd

<<

iconoclasthero

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:36 pm

systemd

tl;dr:
When is the systemd script for Serviio going to be updated (if it has not already & if so where is it?) to remove this unsafe and deprecated systemd configuration? What is a workaround to change /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service so that I am not using the KillMode=none configuration that systemd will "eventually be removing?" NB: "Ignore it, it doesn't matter" isn't an answer to the questions I've asked so don't waste either of our time with that BS.

/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants is the only file found by
  Code:
$ sudo find /etc -iname "*serviio*"
so I'm assuming it's the script systemd is using (which is symlinked back to serviio.service -> /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service and this is confirmed by systemctl status serviio)
  Code:
$ echo $(pwd); cat serviio.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
[Unit]
Description=Serviio Media Server
After=syslog.target local-fs.target network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
StandardOutput=null
ExecStart=/opt/serviio/bin/serviio.sh
ExecStop=/opt/serviio/bin/serviio.sh -stop
KillMode=none
Restart=on-abort

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

$ ll -g serviio.service
lrwxrwxrwx 35 root root  2 Mar 12:39 serviio.service -> /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service

When I check systemctl status serviio I see that it i not happy about the way the systemd script is written:
  Code:
$ systemctl status serviio
● serviio.service - Serviio Media Server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/serviio.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2023-03-14 22:08:01 EDT; 13h ago
   Main PID: 837 (java)
      Tasks: 82 (limit: 9294)
     Memory: 539.5M
        CPU: 4min 17.803s
     CGroup: /system.slice/serviio.service
             └─837 java --add-modules jdk.unsupported -Xmx512M -Xms20M -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:GCTimeRatio=1 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=10 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=20 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Do>

Mar 14 22:08:01 latitude systemd[1]: Started Serviio Media Server.
Mar 15 02:53:58 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please u>

Looking at my syslog I see the following (which is only related to Serviio, i.e., no other applications are configured to use this unsafe KillMode=none):
[code]
pwd; cat syslog|grep KillMode
/var/log
Mar 13 03:03:36 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 13 03:03:37 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 13 13:07:47 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 13 13:07:54 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 13 13:09:00 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 14 22:08:01 latitude kernel: [ 4.390461] systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 15 02:53:58 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
Mar 15 02:54:03 latitude systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/serviio.service:10: Unit configured to use KillMode=none. This is unsafe, as it disables systemd's process lifecycle management for the service. Please update your service to use a safer KillMode=, such as 'mixed' or 'control-group'. Support for KillMode=none is deprecated and will eventually be removed.
[code]
<<

cmakula

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun May 28, 2023 4:30 am

Re: systemd

KillMode=process and KillMode=mixed both seem to work. It also works without any Kill-Mode listed as well. (Kill-Mode defaults to control-group.)

In reality, all that has to run is the ExecStop command to kill the JRE process, so any KillMode is redundant/unnecessary.
:ugeek:
Serviio Server - Dell PowerEdge R420, Dual Xeon E5-2420, 4x120 GB SSD RAID 0, 64 GB RAM (Serviio running from RAMdisk), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to NAS, Ubuntu 22.04.1 Minimal
NFS File Server - Synology DS1517+, 20TB disk space (5x4TB), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to Serviio Server

Return to Serviio Support & Help