FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remote access

<<

Pratt

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:07 pm

Remote access

With the release of 2.4 I am looking at the Pro features during the 14-day grace period and attempting to figure out remote access, without success.

I'm using Windows 11. My music files stream perfectly on my home network. The network setting for my Serviio media server is a bound IP address: 10.0.x.xxx.

In Serviio's console under Users I added a username and password. Under Remote I checked Automatically configure your router to allow incoming internet connections. I entered my internet IP address, 99.230.x.xxx, under External address. External port shows 23424. External secure port shows 23524. When I click Connectivity Status it shows green checkmarks beside insecure connectivity and secure connectivity.

I downloaded ServiiGo to my phone. When I click Add server It finds my Media server and shows the correct IP address, 10.0.x.xxx. When I tap on the server all of the information looks correct. When I then tap the button Add server, it asks for the username and password which it accepts. But then it responds Failed to open a connection to the server.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.
<<

Pratt

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:24 pm

Re: Remote access

Update: I added port forwarding to Port 23424 so now I connect but ServiiGo shows no content and Serviio Media Browser also shows empty folders. So still something wrong. Suggestions appreciated.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:01 am

Starting with Serviio 2.0, remote access users must have a user name in Serviio AND that user must be given access to each shared library folder. Open up your shared library in the console and click Edit on one. You will see a section labeled "Users with access" and each user name will be listed there. You must put a checkmark on each library location you wish to share with that user name, then save the changes.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Pratt

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Thank you very much! That was the missing piece!
<<

Pratt

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Dan,

Thank you for your help. Remote access using MediaBrowser and ServiiGo works perfectly. However, while streaming music using ServiiGo, three security risks to the device housing Serviio and the music files on my home network were detected and blocked. So, how safe is remote access using Serviio?

I note that port forwarding 23424 works on both MediaBrowser and ServiiGo but port forwarding 23524, the secure port, works only on MediaBrowser. Is it safer to use MediaBrowser on 23524 than ServiiGo on 23424?

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:16 pm

I can't help with ServiiGo. It's not provided or supported by the Serviio developer, and I don't have any Android devices that ServiiGo supports so I've never used it. You would have to ask Will (the ServiiGo developer) about that.

I have never bothered with using the secure port for MediaBrowser. There's no simple way to add a security certificate to the HTTP server that Serviio uses, and I don't want the expense of purchasing a commercial certificate and the hassle of configuring and using a self-issued certificate. If someone hacks my Serviio PC, they won't find much. :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help