FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Movie files randomly stop during play

<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 am

Movie files randomly stop during play

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me figure out an issue that I am having with my serviio server. I am running serviio 1.2.1 on ubuntu 12.04, and it works great for the most part. While watching movie files (regardless of format) serviio randomly stops before then end of the movie and starts the next movie. I have tried to figure out this issue for quite a while but can't seem to figure it out. I had this issue since version 1.1 and was hoping it would go away with version 1.2.1 but it did not. I was originally running java 6 and switched to java 7 to no avail. I isolated my NAS server from which the movies were being pulled and copied them to the local drive of the machine serviio is running on, but still the issue persist. I don't think this issue is renderer related as it happens on my samsung D serie TV, Blu Ray and philips tv. I can stream online programs from BBC iplayer, CBS from start to end without any issues, so i don't think network connection is the culprit. I have included the log below where I experienced a stoppage around 19:30 while my kid was watching Arthur Christmas.mkv, at this point serviio automatically started playing the next movie in the folder which was Cars2.
Thanks
Attachments
serviio-log.txt
(173.38 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Re: Movie files randomly stop during play

are any of your device on wireless? The logs says "connection reset" which sounds like a network error to me.
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Yes they are all on wireless. I had at one point suspected the message "connection reset" but dismissed it after noticing that it happened other times without affecting playback. Just to rule out the wireless, I will run a cable from my router to one of the TVs to see if that will help, I probably won't be able to this until this weekend when I get more time.
Thanks
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 pm

great! that should eliminate any possible wireless issues.
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 am

I took wireless out of the picture and used a wired connection. while playing a movie with tv connected via wired connection, play was stopped 16 minutes into the movie. The log is still showing connection reset as in the line below. I have also attached the latest log.
  Code:
2013-04-22 21:13:35,260 DEBUG [WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset
Attachments
Log-with-wired-connection.txt
(487.81 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Have not look into your logs.

But could it be due to you running out of space drive where you default transcode /tmp folder is? The movie is transcoded which is filling the drive with always the same size hence the same playback time. Then when you restart the next moive it cleanup the previous transcoding job and play until again you hit that time time with size constraint.

You may change the default folder for console or at run time with -Dserviio.defaultTranscodeFolder='/user/serviio/somefolder' .

Just a thought !

NPuser
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for suggestion on space. The TV is actually playing these files natively, so there is no transcoding.
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:06 pm

does it happen with certain video files? i.e. a certain kind? or pretty much across the board?
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm

It's across the board, avi, mkv, m4v. I can watch BBC Iplayer hours at a time without issues.
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Is anyone experiencing this issue on movies from local serviio library? I have a hard time believing the network has something to do with it when online transcoding is working like a charm without a single interruption.

Thanks
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:03 pm

did you build your copy of ffmpeg from source? or are you using the one that came with your distro? If you didn't build it, you may want to try that route to see if it resolves your issues.
<<

rgill90

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 pm

hey - you describe exactly the same problem as I have and you have exactly the same error message in the log. i have the problem on some mkvs, it cuts out then start playing the next. If I replay that file it will always cut out at the same point. i was tearing my hair out over this problem (which i had on my samsung series D ) telly...out of desperation i renamed the offending mkv to .m2ts...and everything now plays flawlessly! give it a go...i'd be interested to hear how you get on.
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 01, 2013 12:13 am

@Slyguy42o, I did build FFMPEG from source. I recently updated to version 1.1.1 thinking it would solve the issue.

@ Rgill90, My issue is very similar with yours except that mine does not only affect MKV, it also affects AVI, M4v, and MP4. My movies never cut out at the same point though, it is totally random. I will however try your suggestion rename one of my files to .m2ts to see if it will get rid of the problem.

Thank you both.
Jay
<<

jayhawk81

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun May 05, 2013 6:43 pm

I have replaced my hard drive just to see if it would cure the issue, but it did not. For now I have a work around that consists of using Twonky to watch movies saved on my server and using serviio just for online transcoding. Not ideal for me, but it beats movies stopping mid play. I hope someone can help figure out this weird problem, because I would rather use Serviio for everything.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am

If you haven't already done so check your UnPNP and Multicast settings on your router. pcbrand reported some success with is, although his symptoms were for disconnects after 30 minutes rather than random.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

tomek7

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi,

Did you mange to solve this problem? When I watch movies it cuts randomly and this is very annoying as sometimes it happens twice in one movie, sometimes I can watch 2 - 3 movies without any problem. Please help!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:25 pm

RayHarms wrote:I have the same problem now . It just started , worked perfectly before.. I also have a problem at times even accessing my folders.. just a gray (searching) screen

Ray, this thread is 6 years old, and dealt with a much older version of Serviio. Please create a new thread, and provide some additional detail. I am going to lock this thread due to its age.

What are you using as a player? TV, Blu Ray player, media player, MediaBrowser on a computer? What version of Serviio do you have? What is the operating system of your Serviio computer? Please upload your Serviio log, so we can ensure there's no problems on startup.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help