Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 am

Disconnects after skipping through playback

I've been using Serviio to great satisfaction for a good while now, never encountering any real problems until I decided to add some additional storage in the form of a WD Green drive. I'll outline the problem below, but I'll start with some general info.

- I'm using Serviio 1.4.1.2 over a wired network.
- The TV connected is a Samsung E-series.
- HDDs in use are a Spinpoint F3 and a WD Green.
- Files streamed are .mkv, no transcoding as the TV plays these natively.
- The TV has a function that allows you to skip playback forward or backward by 10 seconds, as well as a seek function that allows you to the same thing with 1 minute intervals.

The problem is this: Ever since I've started streaming from the WD, disconnects started happening after I used the skip or seek function to go back to an earlier segment, to replay a section I had just watched. After skipping, playback resumes at the earlier time for a few seconds and then cuts out suddenly. The TV displays "Device disconnected". When going into the TV's input source menu, Serviio is still visible and everything functions normally.

I've been trying to reliably recreate the issue by skipping though playback, and I've found a couple of things that could be of interest:

- The problem arises when skipping or seeking back, requesting a portion of the file that has just been streamed
- The disconnects happen regardless of the file being streamed, and are not specific to any timecode
- The disconnects seem to happen when the stream has run uninterrupted for 10+ minutes (not an exact figure). Skipping seems to work fine when the file hasn't been playing for long.
- Sometimes a disconnect happens after a short period of buffering/loading.
- Sometimes a short period of buffering/loading is seen, but playback resumes normally.
- The problem is specific to the WD Green drive.

That last point is what has me wondering. Green drives have an aggressive head-parking policy, and maybe the TV requests a portion of the stream before the drive has the read heads ready and without an adequate cache being present? I've been noticing intermittent I/O errors in the log, though not all of them result in a disconnect. From the reading I've done, I think it's the TV that sends a disconnect message, but I'm hoping the problem might be fixable other than through waiting for a firmware update.

I've added the log of a stream I did to recreate the problem. Some extra bits of info:

- At timecode 11:12:52 I skipped back 10 seconds. No problem arises.
- At timecode 11:27:40 I did the same. A short time later, the connection closes.

Though a short log of only one instance of the problem, what happened is indicative of the issue. All other events have looked similar.
Attachments
serviio - Copy.log
(140.38 KiB) Downloaded 221 times