FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dune HD Media Player Support?

<<

Insiteful

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Dune HD Media Player Support?

Hello,

I have been using Serviio for years, serving from my macbook pro through my home network. I had been using a Samsung smart bluray player as my playback device (without issue), but am now considering an upgrade to a dedicated media server, possibly a Dune HD Media Player: Either the older Dune HD Max, or the current model, the Dune HD Duo 4k.

After not seeing DLNA compatibility on Dune's specs page, I called Dune customer support and asked whether Serviio can serve to their media player. The answer I received was circuitous, but the tech seemed to say that, although the player is DLNA compliant, it does not have the architecture to receive and display Serviio as the media server in the same way that, for example, my Samsung does; from what I could understand, the Dune only has the capability to read and display directly from my computer.

However, I do see one thread here in the forum that talks abuot the Dune's subtitles compatibility with a Dune media player, so that gave me some indication that it might be compatible.

Can anyone verify one way or the other, whether serviio will serve to the Dune media players? If not, can anyone please recommend the best, serviio-compatible, most versatile (when it comes to native codec compatibility) media player, at a decent price?

Thanks very much in advance!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 am

Re: Dune HD Media Player Support?

If they claim DLNA compliant, then it should see Serviio just fine. I have no idea what they mean about not having the necessary architecture. They either support DLNA or they don't. You may have to play around with different profiles to make sure everything will play, but again, if DLNA is supported, then Serviio should work just fine.

I if course have no knowledge at all about the Dune players. I'm basing my opinion on what you posted. to quote the web page you linked to the HD Duo 4K:
Network player: Connect to local network and play content directly from PC or NAS via UPnP/DLNA, SMB, or NFS

Sure looks like DLNA support to me.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help