FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to import m3u?

<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 pm

How to import m3u?

Hi!

I have got m3u file from my provider listing TV streams. UDP protocol is in use, but I have installed on NAS udpxy to use HTTP one. So, I can manually add URLs to Serviio from that (also modified to use http) m3u file and manually name it one by one. Adding all streams would be very tedious. How to import m3u in a whole?

I have tried to import via WEB console, but have got a message about invalid format.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: How to import m3u?

M3U is just a playlist file, as you probably know. Whatever it is pointing to has to be compatible with your player. So, what is your player? Can you provide a sample of the URLs that the playlist contains, so we can see what is being streamed?

It's possible that the stream you are attempting to play requires a plug-in to work properly. That's why a sample URL can help troubleshoot.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:19 pm

The issue doesn't depend on the player (it can be anything). The issue is Serviio console Import dialog expects Serviio-schema XML-based file with URLs of online resources. But all we have got in our hands is m3u file from our provider. Probably there is m3u -> sob playlist converter. Is there?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Again, a sample of your M3U file could assist.

Wait, I think I just got it. You are trying to load the playlist as on online resource. Playlists don't work that way. You simply place the M3U file in a location that contains your Serviio media. Then make sure you have Playlists enabled on your console in the Presentation tab. Then on your player, select Playlists and your M3U file should be listed, if Serviio recognizes the URL it contains as valid playback media.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 pm

atc98092 wrote:Again, a sample of your M3U file could assist.

Wait, I think I just got it. You are trying to load the playlist as on online resource. Playlists don't work that way. You simply place the M3U file in a location that contains your Serviio media. Then make sure you have Playlists enabled on your console in the Presentation tab. Then on your player, select Playlists and your M3U file should be listed, if Serviio recognizes the URL it contains as valid playback media.

Playlist URLs look like

Code:
#EXTINF:0 tvg-name="Первый_канал" group-title="Федеральные", Первый канал
http://127.0.0.1:4022/udp/224.10.10.221:1234

And the m3u file is placed in one of the shared folders. Presentation tab has "Display category" for all play lists. Manually added URLs do work. m3u file isn't visible in Media Browser (Video/Playlists is empty).
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 pm

OK, I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the URL has to be to the actual video. You can't use a URL that connects to a page that contains available videos.

However, it can be done with a plug-in, which has the ability to parse the data on the web page and provide links to the individual videos. But without a matching plug-in, what you are trying to do won't work. I have no skill in developing plug-ins, but there is a sub-forum here specifically dealing with plug-ins. Do a search to see if your site is already mentioned, and if not you can ask for help there.

I can see that you're going through your proxy, which is masking the actual URL. That's fine, I don't need to know what you are connecting to, although it doesn't allow someone to help you determine what might help. Based on the text you have, I most likely couldn't read the page anyway! :D
Dan

<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the URL has to be to the actual video.
It's URL of live TV stream to open federal TV channel(s).

atc98092 wrote:However, it can be done with a plug-in, which has the ability to parse the data on the web page and provide links to the individual videos. But without a matching plug-in, what you are trying to do won't work. I have no skill in developing plug-ins, but there is a sub-forum here specifically dealing with plug-ins. Do a search to see if your site is already mentioned, and if not you can ask for help there.

I don't understand your point. The problem is just to auto-convert m3u file to Serviio's native XML sob file. Nothing more.

atc98092 wrote:I can see that you're going through your proxy, which is masking the actual URL.
The proxy is standard way to use robust TCP protocol instead of UDP one.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm not following what you mean by a Serviio native XML sob file.

Serviio has to be able to recognize what the actual video is, to determine if it can be played without transcoding. Your URL does not contain the complete path to the video. It has to end with the file name, with the container, such as video_stream.flv (or .mp4 or similar). The only way I've seen an online source work without a specific video path is with a plug-in that decodes the page at the URL and provides links to one or more videos available at that URL.

In Serviio a M3U playlist file has to provide that full path. Perhaps some other software package can take that playlist file and work properly with it, but I don't know if Serviio can. My comment about the proxy was simply to state that your M3U file is only pointing at the proxy, not the actual public URL.

I hope Zip can provide any further information, as I believe I've reached the limit of my knowledge here.
Dan

<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:38 pm

atc98092 wrote:I'm not following what you mean by a Serviio native XML sob file.

Look at Library/Online resources. You can add Live stream, you can import and export XML file listing these streams.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 am

OK, wasn't familiar with that, so I created an online resource and then backed it up. Here's what it looks like:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<onlineRepositoriesBackup>
  <items>
    <backupItem enabled="true" order="1">
      <serviioLink>serviio://video:web?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodnetwork.com&amp;name=Food+Network</serviioLink>
      <accessGroupIds>
        <id>1</id>
      </accessGroupIds>
    </backupItem>
  </items>
</onlineRepositoriesBackup>

All the SOB file contains is the information necessary to fill out the required fields in the Serviio console. If I had to guess, SOB stands for Serviio Online Backup. I see nothing in this that will do what you desire. If you can't make it work by entering the URL directly into the Serviio console, this won't do anything different.

Without knowing more details about what you are attempting to stream, I'm not sure I can provide any additional information. But my guess is you will need some sort of plug-in to stream what you are trying to get to. You can learn more about plug-ins http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=servio_plugins here and http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=serviio_groovy_plugins_explained here.
Dan

<<

tata-greis

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:37 pm

I had a similar issue and wrote a small python script that does m3u -> sob conversion.
My m3u files are exports from enigma2 (OpenATV to be precise). So you may need to apply some adoptions if your specific m3u format differs slightly.
Attachments
m3u2sob.zip
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
<<

Paolo

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:30 pm

I0d like to use it but I can't understand the syntax. Plese explain me and be patient, I'm a newbie.
(W1n10, Pyton 3,7 installed, command page open ready)

Vorrei usarlo ma non mi riesce, come sarebbe la sintassi ? (se la risposta dovesse essere ovvia portate pazienza, sono un newbie)
<<

cara

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:51 am

student975 wrote:Hi!

I have got m3u file from my provider listing TV streams. UDP protocol is in use, but I have installed on NAS udpxy to use HTTP one. So, I can manually add URLs to Serviio from that (also modified to use http) m3u file and manually name it one by one. Adding all streams would be very tedious. How to import m3u in a whole? Garten Of Banban

I have tried to import via WEB console, but have got a message about invalid format. drive mad

You can try opening the M3U file in a text editor (like Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac) and ensure that it contains a list of URLs that point to the TV streams. Additionally, make sure that each URL is on its own line and that there are no additional characters or comments in the file that may be causing the error message.

Return to Serviio Support & Help