Unable to connect from iPad to Media Browser on PC

<<

Peterrr

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Unable to connect from iPad to Media Browser on PC

Hi guys,

So my situation is as follows:
- PC (Windows 7) is connected to my router through an ethernet cable (IP 192.168.0.108)
- I have an iPad connected to the same router and I am trying to connect to Media Browser which runs on my PC
- I am using the trial version 1.9.1 (installed a few hours ago) - not sure if this makes any difference
- on the PC, I am able to navigate to http://localhost:23424/mediabrowser and I can see the status of the streaming server as "Running" I can browse my media files as well
- the Serviio DLNA service is also up and running
- Windows firewall is disabled, and I'm not using any other firewall software
- I've tried to disable firewall on my router as well
- From my PC, I am able to ping my iPad

The problem is that when I open Safari on iPad and navigate to http://192.168.0.108:23424/mediabrowser I get a timeout and an error message saying "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding". I do not see any relevant messages in the Serviio log file.

I've spent a few hours trying to figure it out and it seems that usually people don't have this kind of problem, so I guess I'm missing something really silly.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Re: Unable to connect from iPad to Media Browser on PC

Some wireless routers have an option to block or hide wireless devices from other devices on your network. Check your router settings for some sort of setting like this.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I have two Serviio servers (my original that I have used for three years and a secondary one that I have recently setup to do some testing).

The only differences are that the original server is on a fixed IP address and a wired connection.
The other is a fast laptop that connects over Wi-Fi on the same network.

As a test I tried to do the same using my wife's IPad and got the same response as the forum user accessing the laptop i.e. it failed.
I also got the same failure on my Kindle HDX.

However when I accessed the original server, with fixed IP and wired connection, it worked on both the IPad and the Kindle HDX.
Hope this helps.

I will have a look at changing the laptop to a fixed IP (temporarily) and see what results I get.
(cannot see it is the wired/wi-fi issue but I may be wrong).

UPDATE - Immediately I had posted the above my Kindle HDX accessed the laptop - only difference was I did the remote setting on the Serviio console ( I did the password previously but not the router config. as I did not need remote access).
It is now working on the IPad too - running off the laptop.
I think it is to do with port opening 23424 on the router - so go to remote on the console and see if that solves your problem too.
or maybe it was just time to connect/identify.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:04 pm

OK, you may have found the issue, but not what you thought. When you don't use a static IP, it's possible that your assigned IP address changes. When that changes, Serviio may or may not recognize the change. If it still thinks it is using a previous IP address, it won't be visible on the network. The computer itself works fine on the network, but Serviio is bound to an inaccessable IP address. I also have two Serviio servers, one that I use for beta testing. But both have static IP addresses, and I've never encountered an issue with access. The port forwarding is only for access MediaBrowser from outside your home network. It isn't necessary for computers within your network. If you have a firewall set up on the laptop, it does need a couple of ports open for basic Serviio access, but the install program is supposed to configure that.

Depending on whatever device is assigning your IP addresses on your network (usually your Internet router) it might have a very short lease timeout. When I was using Windows Internet Connection Sharing when I was in a long term hotel stay, I discovered it had a timeout of less than 8 hours, and every device on my network received a different IP address every time they were turned on or connected. I had to install a separate DHCP server on the computer that I could change the settings on to resolve that issue.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help