FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

m3u Playlist for local mp3 files - how to?

<<

hanneshar

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm

m3u Playlist for local mp3 files - how to?

Hello,

despite intensive searches, I haven't found a solution for my relatively simple sounding problem with the current version of Serviio. I have different DLNA devices at home for playing MP3 files, which have different capabilities. Furthermore I have a rather complex MP3 collection, which is structured as follows:

- pop music
-- Artist A
--- album 1
--- album 2
--- album 3
---- CD 1
---- CD 2
-- artist B
--- album 1
album 2
- rock
-- Artist A
--- album 1
--- album 2
--- album 3
---- CD 1
---- CD 2
-- artist B
--- album 1
--- album 2

For example, if I want to play all MP3 songs from Popmusic/Artist A now, then some of my DLNA devices can obviously create their own playlist if I just click on Play in the "Popmusic/Artist A" directory. Other DLNA devices only play the MP3 songs that are in the current directory and ignore all other MP3 songs that are in deeper subdirectories. So I had the clever idea to generate m3u playlists in order to let such stupid DLNA devices play all of an artist's subdirectories.

But: how must such a m3u playlist be formatted for Serviio to deliver this file to the DLNA devices? Where do I have to save this m3u playlist? Can I see and select such a m3u playlist in the web interface of Serviio? Is there perhaps a very simple wiki page where the use of such m3u playlists is explained as playing locally stored MP3 songs?

Greetings,

Hannes
<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Re: m3u Playlist for local mp3 files - how to?

I have a similar issue. I have my music library in iTunes and like you have a hierarchical playlist structure that I would like to make visible through Mediabrowser.

I also wanted that same structure to be available and visible on my Sonos system using my iTunes library as a music source. I was able to get the Sonos system working the way I wanted by writing a program that parsed the playlist structure in the iTunes database and created a corresponding folder\file structure in the Windows file system. Each playlist being a m3u file in this structure. I was then able to import that into Sonos and it works.

I tried to do the same with Mediabrowser by creating an entry in the shared folders for audio files and pointing it to the top folder of my playlist structure. I enabled playlists for audio under the Presentation flag and forced a refresh of the library but it didn't work.

I then created a simpler playlist structure to play with and Serviio only picks up 2 playlists (happens to be a deliberate duplicate one) and ignores all the others and also ignores the folder structure of the playlist library.

I'll keep playing with it and let you know if I get anywhere.

Mike
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Serviio will support playlists as per http://serviio.org/features

These are not hierarchical, so they are just a flat list of files.

1 - add folder with music files and playlists to the library
2 - browse to Audio / Playlists to see the playlists there
<<

hanneshar

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

Thank you for your help! I've indeed simply missed the option to add "playlist" in the Serviio console. Now it is working great!

:-) Hannes
<<

keneltyler

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm

This is a quite common problem that people have. This all depends on what device you are listening to. There are a lot of devices that read mp3 files, but they can not read them after they have been put in a folder. The only solution I have found is deleting the tracks that are not in order and downloading them again. I use https://loader.to to convert and download my tracks. If that doesn't work, you can just delete the folder and listen to all the tracks without them being put in categories.

Return to Serviio Support & Help