FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Getting chapters to work on a mkv file

<<

minotir

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Getting chapters to work on a mkv file

Hey.

First of all I have to say I am really pleased with the Serviio program and I use it almost daily without any problem.

I had an idea today to backup my music blurays and store them on my computer for easyer playback and protecting the disc's and I ripped one bluray to a .mkv file without any problems. On my computer it plays of fine and I can easely skip to the next chapter (the next song). When I play it on my tv trough Serviio it plays flawlessly, but there is no chapters so I have to fast forward to the next songs wich is a huge struggle :P

Haven't thought about this problem before because when I see regular movies I usually see them in one go :P

I have a Samsung ue46d7005.

Is there any way to make this work? I guess I could split the mkv file into tracks, but that is alot of extra work :P

Best regards,
Sindre
<<

NickJP

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:06 am

Re: Getting chapters to work on a mkv file

I've been looking at this as well. I have Serviio 1.10.1 running headless on a Raspberry Pi. If I rip a Blu-Ray with MakeMKV, retaining chapters, and copy it to the server, I can use VLC as the DLNA client on my PC to play the rip from Serviio and I can access the chapters in the ripped file, jumping forwards and backwards from chapter to chapter. However, if I use the DLNA client in my LG OLED55B6T to play the same rip, the chapters can't be accessed - trying to do so jumps to the next/previous rip in the folder on the server.

So I think the shortcoming is in the DLNA client on the TV. Has anyone managed to get chapters working with the DLNA client on an LG TV?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Getting chapters to work on a mkv file

NickJP wrote:I've been looking at this as well. I have Serviio 1.10.1 running headless on a Raspberry Pi. If I rip a Blu-Ray with MakeMKV, retaining chapters, and copy it to the server, I can use VLC as the DLNA client on my PC to play the rip from Serviio and I can access the chapters in the ripped file, jumping forwards and backwards from chapter to chapter. However, if I use the DLNA client in my LG OLED55B6T to play the same rip, the chapters can't be accessed - trying to do so jumps to the next/previous rip in the folder on the server.

So I think the shortcoming is in the DLNA client on the TV. Has anyone managed to get chapters working with the DLNA client on an LG TV?

Yes, it's likely a limitation of the TV. Also, if the file is being trancoded you won't have chapter access. If your video has unsupported video and/or audio, it is going to be transcoded. Look at the Serviio console while playing it on the TV. If the activity icon next to your TV entry (on the status page) is orange, it's being transcoded. If it's green, there is no transcoding. If it's green and you still can't move to chapters, it's a limitation of the TV player itself. Nothing Serviio can do about that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help