FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

UPNP/DLNA using Serviio?

<<

Shangri-La

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am

UPNP/DLNA using Serviio?

I'm using a 3rd party music streaming app on my MacBook pro. I can cast to my stereo through Raspberry Pi Volumio using Airplay. Basically I'm using the Raspberry as an Airplay endpoint/bridge like this:

Mac running music stream app ~~~~~~<Airplay>~~~~~~~~ Raspberry Pi Volumio --- Home stereo

But the problem is Airplay sample rate is limited to 48kHz. So I'm trying to find a way to cast my music stream to Raspberry/Volumio using UPNP/DLNA instead, which has higher sample rate. Like this:

Mac running music stream app ~~~~~~<UPNP/DLNA>~~~~~~~~ Raspberry Pi Volumio --- Home stereo

Can Serviio cast my 3rd party stream app using UPNP/DLNA? Or this is needs to be a plug-in?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Re: UPNP/DLNA using Serviio?

Serviio would be installed on your Mac as a separate app, and yes it streams via DLNA. I haven't played with audio much, just video. I do know that bitrate and sample rate can be set when transcoding, but depending on the device you are streaming to, transcoding shouldn't be necessary. Whatever bit and sample rate your media has should be streamed as is. I'm not familiar with Volumio, but assuming it can accept the native bit and sample rate, and works as a DLNA player, it should work fine.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Shangri-La

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

atc98092 wrote:Serviio would be installed on your Mac as a separate app, and yes it streams via DLNA. I haven't played with audio much, just video. I do know that bitrate and sample rate can be set when transcoding, but depending on the device you are streaming to, transcoding shouldn't be necessary. Whatever bit and sample rate your media has should be streamed as is. I'm not familiar with Volumio, but assuming it can accept the native bit and sample rate, and works as a DLNA player, it should work fine.

Yeah the Volumio is a standard DLNA renderer and I've had it working with other DLNA server/sender. The challenge here is to use Serviio to cast another app (playing lossless audio stream) to the DLNA renderer. Basically I'm trying to use DLNA to replace Apple Airplay to cast audiophile-grade audio. I have Serviio installed but what do I need to configure? Thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

I don't believe you have to configure anything. Volumio should recognize Serviio as a valid DLNA source, and allow you to select the desired media. The generic profile in Serviio should play the audio without alteration, so you should get the full lossless audio.

If you haven't yet configured your Serviio installation, the main thing you have to do it to tell it where your audio files can be found. It don't not search your computer for them, so you have to tell it. That is done in the console, on the Library/Shared Folders tab.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Shangri-La

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:47 am

Well, I'm not using Serviio to play the media. I'm using Spotify (just an example, not actually using Spotify), and am hoping I can use Serviio to cast the Spotify stream to Volumio via UPNP/DLNA. And yes, in Volumio, I do see Serviio.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:32 am

OK, I think I understand a little better. No, Serviio cannot "cast" from another source. It is able to stream from online sources, but that would require a plugin and I've never seen a plugin for Spotify, Pandora, or other such sites. For one, they require a login, and most plugins don't support that. Serviio itself cannot perform the login function for online sources like that.
Dan

<<

Shangri-La

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:10 am

Okay. Thank you for taking the time.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

You cannot cast, but if you had a plugin and treated your source as Online resource, then you could see those in tour DLNA renderer under Serviio / Online resources

Return to Serviio Support & Help