FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio failed to be seen after some time of inactivity

<<

soyo

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Serviio failed to be seen after some time of inactivity

Hey

First of all, I was using Serviio for many years now. Thanks for giving us this great tool to stream movies to TV!

This problem I have started at least 3 months ago, out of the blue (I don't remember if there was some update that caused it). What happens is that when I start my PC, usually I can immidietly see the serviio server on my TV. I watch something, turn off the TV and forget about it (my PC keeps running). Then after some time I want to watch something again, I turn on TV but this time, there Serviio server is nowhere to be found. I have to run manually Serviio console, go to Status tab, and Re-start the server (even though it says "Running" to begin with). Once I hit that "Start server" button again, it is imidietly being found by my TV.

Anybody had the same thing happen to them? I never had this issue before. I think it's possible that it started happening once the Serviio icon in the lower right. It was there before, it's gone now. Maybe the system service that is now running in the background gets stopped after some inactivity or something?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 am

Re: Serviio failed to be seen after some time of inactivity

No, doesn't happen with mine. Sounds to me like a Windows update (assuming you use Windows) has enabled putting your network connection to sleep when not in use. You can find a setting for this (again in Windows) in the Control Panel/Power/Advanced settings.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

soyo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 am

Thanks

I have maximum efficiency set for wireless cards so that's not it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 pm

soyo wrote:Thanks

I have maximum efficiency set for wireless cards so that's not it.

Actually, that might not be enough. There's another place that you can check. Open Control Panel, select Power Options, then select Change Plan Settings on the active plan, then Change Advanced Power Settings. Scroll down to Wireless Adapter Settings/Power Saving Mode. Make sure it's set to Maximum performance when plugged in. Any other setting will allow the network adapter to go to sleep, and it will only wake up when the computer tries to use it. Any external device will not wake it.

These steps are for Windows 10, but older versions of Windows have a similar setting.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

soyo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:57 pm

That's what I meant. I have this option set to maximum performance. Had it since I set it up when I installed Windows 10.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:11 pm

OK, I've exhausted my bag of tricks then. For whatever reason it seems something is shutting down, be it the network connection or the Serviio process. Zip might want to see a Serviio log to see if there's something noticeable in there.
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Doesn’t happen for me either. You will need to post a detailed log showing the period after turning the tv off, to when it fails, and then after doing the server restart from the console and subsequent detection by the tv. That may shed some light in to what is happening.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

soyo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks guys. I'll do that at the nearest ocasion
<<

Jean la Bete

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm

soyo wrote:Hey

First of all, I was using Serviio for many years now. Thanks for giving us this great tool to stream movies to TV!

This problem I have started at least 3 months ago, out of the blue (I don't remember if there was some update that caused it). What happens is that when I start my PC, usually I can immidietly see the serviio server on my TV. I watch something, turn off the TV and forget about it (my PC keeps running). Then after some time I want to watch something again, I turn on TV but this time, there Serviio server is nowhere to be found. I have to run manually Serviio console, go to Status tab, and Re-start the server (even though it says "Running" to begin with). Once I hit that "Start server" button again, it is imidietly being found by my TV.

Anybody had the same thing happen to them? I never had this issue before. I think it's possible that it started happening once the Serviio icon in the lower right. It was there before, it's gone now. Maybe the system service that is now running in the background gets stopped after some inactivity or something?

hello, that is exactly, what happens for me, too! But i´m using an Mac Mini and macOS. The Mac mini is running all the time without any sleepmode. When I deaktivate and reaktivate the server inside the console, it will be at once seen again by our DLNA-TV-device!!! That i have to do at least once a day, somtimes more often :-(

what to do?

greetings
J.l.B.

Return to Serviio Support & Help