FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio on a local network

<<

larsancaya

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Serviio on a local network

I have two desktop machines. Desktop 1 runs Serviio and Desktop 2 has all my files. The folders on Desktop 2 are all shared and can be seen by Desktop 1.

When I try to add folders in Serviio I cannot see any other Folders/PCs other than the ones on Desktop 1.

Seems a pretty simple thing to do ! Am trying to change to Serviio from the Universal Media Server UMS which can do this without problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Re: Serviio on a local network

I am not sure will this works but try it out. User in desktop 1 must have full access to desktop 2. See attached picture. Just type address and don't klick browse.

Source: https://www.serviio.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21#q5
My files (on remote drive) are not scanned
Make sure the user that runs Serviio server/service has got access to the shared folders. If you are on Windows, check that the user running the Windows service has got access. To run the service as a different user go to Services (from the Windows Control Panel → Administrative Tools or typing "Services.msc" in the Run command on Start menu), select Serviio, right-click -> Properties, Log On tab, enter the user's details and restart the service.

To access a NAS device the exact same set of credentials must be created on the NAS device. The Windows credentials must be a local user and not a domain user. The user must have "Run As Service" rights. The remote path must be entered as a UNC path in the Serviio Console (e.g. \\server\folder)), mapped drive letters will not work since the user running the Serviio service is not aware of your mapped drives.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (107.81 KiB) Viewed 4148 times
<<

larsancaya

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:57 pm

I have read all this and still cannot get it to work. Seems such a simple thing. The 'Universal Media Server' just connects to any shared folder on the local network
I don't understand why Serviio cannot do this. The gui on serviio is much better and would like to use it but it does not work.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:22 pm

What operating system are you using? If Linux, I've never been able to get Serviio to connect to a network share using a UNC. Linux keeps changing it to a local folder. My workaround was to mount the network share (which does work), then set Serviio to use the mounted location, which if course is seen as a local folder.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

larsancaya

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Windows 10
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 pm

OK, the issue is permissions. On Windows, Serviio is run under the Local System account. This account have very limited permissions, and usually cannot access network resources. The simplest way to solve this is to change the user account that Serviio uses. The preferred account to use is the same account that you use to log into Windows. This means of course you have to know exactly the user name and password the account uses. I mention this because many people configure Windows to log in automatically and they forget the actual account info.

Open the Services app, find Serviio in the list, then double-click to open it. First stop the service, then change the user account on the log On tab. Click the button that says "This Account" and add the user credentials. Now start the service again, to ensure you've entered the credentials correctly. Once you've finished, Serviio will be able to see and access any network share that your user account can.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

larsancaya

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am

Thank you for the clarity of reply. Now have Serviio working as required.

Thanks for the help.

Return to Serviio Support & Help