FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need help. Awful performance after switching from HDD to SSD

<<

ami289

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Need help. Awful performance after switching from HDD to SSD

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird issue that I'm clueless as how to debug.

I have my video library on a secondary hard drive (meaning, not the one Windows and Serviio are installed on).
I have recently upgraded it from 1TB HDD to 2TB SSD.
Ever since, video playback is awful.
Video stutters constantly, making it unwatchable.
Transcoding is, and always was, disabled.
Prior to switching from HDD to SSD everything was working fine,
But I don't understand why this is happening, since the SSD only contains video files, and nothing more (meaning, it is not the primary hard drive).
Also, no settings had been change.

My configuration-
PC running fully updated Windows 7
Latest Serviio (1.10.1)
No Transcoding
Wired network

Attached a debug log,
I see a lot of 'socket write error',
But after initially starts the playback, it seems to be gone.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Attachments
log.txt
(154.98 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: Need help. Awful performance after switching from HDD to

I'm not certain an SSD is the best device for media playback. It's optimized for file movement in smaller chunks, not continuous streaming. It's also possible that your motherboard doesn't handle SSDs as well as HDDs. Since you've replaced a HDD, I'm assuming you are still using the SATA connection. While that does offer better performance compared to a HDD, SSDs really shine when they have a PCIe connection. I replaced my C drive with an SSD on my Serviio machine. I don't let Serviio use the SSD for the transcoding location, so the SSD is only running the OS and applications. My SSD is the M.2 form factor connected directly to the motherboard and uses the PCIe connection. It works flawlessly.

So, I strongly recommend leaving your media on a HDD, and using the SSD as your C drive. Remember too that SSDs have a far shorter useful life when they perform a lot of read/write operations, which is another reason to not put your media on one. If you are looking for a speed improvement (although SATA III is more than enough for streaming from a HDD) you could use a RAID 5 configuration, and have HDD failure redundancy as a bonus.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 pm

yea man I dont know if its the same but I got a 128gb microsd card because I had convinced myself I could compensate for the 80gb nand hard drive that came with my intel atom laptoplet. The 128gb sd copied any file over a certain amount, I would say something really small <100mb transfer slowed to 6-4 mbps. SD card is supposed to be in the hundreds, I couldn't figure it out, until someone on another board said if I did a lot of small files that might be faster (it wasn't lol, tried to at least move my mame roms and no go).

Sorry, I think atc is right and its never going to work the way you want with that hardware.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am

I doubt it's the SDD related problem.

Stuttering can be usually:
- network bandwidth issue
- network buffer issue
- file bitrate being too high for the TV to decode it
<<

ami289

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 am

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply,
I've been away for a couple of days.

Anyway,
I don't think it should relate to switching to SSD either,
But that is the only thing that has changed.

It's the same videos I've played prior to switching to SSD, so bitrate should not be the problem, otherwise it would've occur prior to switching to the SSD.
Network is the same wired network as before, so I doubt it is bandwidth or buffer issues.
Only thing that is different is SSD instead of HDD,
Everything else is the same.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 pm

How video is working in that PC when you play it with VLC player for example? Maybe RAM issue.... i am not sure. What is the SSD drive model/type?

Return to Serviio Support & Help