FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remote serviio

<<

th3bucch

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:58 am

Remote serviio

Hi guys, i'm looking for some advices.

As of now i'm running serviio on my debian home server. I can access it via DLNA, on my LAN, with a LG smart tv using the inbuilt smartshare app and all is workig flawlessly.

I'm thinking to move my home server to a new house with better internet connection, doing so i need a way to continue watching videos on my TV until I move completely to the new home.

I know the "remote" menu on serviio console to allow internet access so i'm covered on that matter, I need advices on how to make my TV see the remote serviio server.
I was thinking running a new serviio instance on a raspberry and feed it with the files from the remote one, will it work? Are there better ways to do it?

Thanks in advance
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Re: Remote serviio

Use LG TV web browser.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:38 pm

To expand on what Meelis said, while Serviio has the ability to offer media remotely, you won't be able to use the usual DLNA player in your TV remotely. DLNA only functions on a local network, and can not be routed over the Internet. If you have Serviio Pro (the paid version), you can use the web based MediaBrowser to play media remotely. This requires configuring port forwarding in your Internet router, and knowing your public Internet IP address. Since those are usually assigned via DHCP, it can change, so using one of the free dynamic DNS products gives you a domain name to use.

Serviio Pro also offers a API (it's a computer library of functions) that allow connecting to your Serviio without using a browser. The only product I know if that works with it is ServiiGo, which is an Android app. O doubt you can install that on a TV. So the TV's web browser is your only option. But be aware that some TV browsers are not fully capable of supporting video streaming.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

th3bucch

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:23 pm

atc98092 wrote:To expand on what Meelis said, while Serviio has the ability to offer media remotely, you won't be able to use the usual DLNA player in your TV remotely. DLNA only functions on a local network, and can not be routed over the Internet. If you have Serviio Pro (the paid version), you can use the web based MediaBrowser to play media remotely. This requires configuring port forwarding in your Internet router, and knowing your public Internet IP address. Since those are usually assigned via DHCP, it can change, so using one of the free dynamic DNS products gives you a domain name to use.

Serviio Pro also offers a API (it's a computer library of functions) that allow connecting to your Serviio without using a browser. The only product I know if that works with it is ServiiGo, which is an Android app. O doubt you can install that on a TV. So the TV's web browser is your only option. But be aware that some TV browsers are not fully capable of supporting video streaming.

I don't feel like relying on the TV's web browser, i think i will try looking on LG app store for a video player which supports remote streams.
Worst case scenario, as mentioned in my last post, i'll set up a new serviio server on a PC/raspberryPi in the same network as the TV.

Thank you for the explanation, i was already aware on DLNA local-only behaviour and on the networking but someone else might find it useful.

Bye
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 pm

There's one option you could try. Set up a VPN between the two homes, and then Serviio can be seen via DLNA from both locations. It requires some effort to get it all set up, though. The easiest way would be two routers of the same brand and model at both locations. I had two medical offices that I did that with, and it worked well for accessing material at both locations.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

fmustang76

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 am

Do you own any Chromecasts? I currently use a setup that uses a Chromecast at multiple locations and it works well for my needs.

Home A:
TV with Chromecast
Serviio Pro setup on a Windows PC
I have Stunnel(SSL) setup to accept on port 443 and forward to Serviio port 23424 (My Asus router provides a Free SSL Certificate from Let's Encrypt)
My router is setup to forward outside WAN port 443 to Stunnel which will then forward -> to Serviio
My Android phone with Serviigo App was initially configured at "Home A" (local LAN access working) with "cast" enabled (or most recent beta version)
My Android phone with Serviigo App was then reconfigured for use away from "Home A". I edited the IP address and port for remote access to "Home A" and I enabled SSL in Serviigo on the Android phone. (I use DDNS but my public IP address would work until it changes)
Tested everything at "Home A" using my Android phone on both data connection as well as local WiFi casting to the Chromecast

Home B:
TV with Chromecast
Android phone pre-configured as stated above

Using the above setup allows me to access my Serviio media files at "Home A", "Home B" or anywhere I have internet access on my Android phone (using Serviigo & VLC). It works whether it's over the cellular data connection or WIFI connection with no reconfiguring from all locations. This also gives me the ability to "cast" my Serviio media files to any Chromecast at "Home A", "Home B" or any other location as long as the Android phone and the Chromecast are on the same WiFi with internet access.

Some public locations I have come across do block most ports so I use port 443 to prevent Serviigo from being blocked on the Android phone. You could also use a VPN setup as mentioned above (I have OpenVpn configured on my Asus router for redundancy and local LAN access).

If you chose, you could skip the SSL or VPN setup and forward WAN port 23424 on the router at "Home A" directly to your LAN Serviio server and you would still have access but I chose not to do that.

Of course you would have to adjust the above scenario taking into account your own Debian setup, router, internet provider, internet speeds, etc and decide if you want to buy a Chromecast for 1 or both locations if you don't already own them.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Return to Serviio Support & Help