FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Alexa skill not functioning

<<

hoogerd

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Alexa skill not functioning

Hi

I recently purchased Serviio Pro as the trial does not work with Alexa Serviio skill.
Unfortunately it is barely working.

I'm able to have Alexa (on echo dot 3rd gen) play Rock Music on Echo, so the connectivity is there.
But, if I mention another device, she keeps repeating: "which device would you like to play it on? "

I think she recognizes the device as an active device under Serviio's status, because as soon as I mention e.g. xbox (which I dont have) , she states that that type of device is not known as a device to Alexa or under Serviio.
I have a Denon AVR receiver, which is listed green, as an active device, and I gave it a friendly name "speaker" to makeit as simple as possible for Alexa in terms of pronounciation.
If I rename the Denon to "xbox"as friendly name, it keeps stating "which device would you like to play it on?" i.s.o. saying it is an unknown device , so I'm pretty sure the pronounciation is right and not the problem.
I have no clue why she does not play it on a device which is listed green under connected devices.

A second issue is Alexa abel to search the library. Giving a general command as "play Rock music" makes it select a random song in that genre, but as soon as I name a specific Artist or song, it states "I'm sorry but I'm having trouble accessing your serviio skill"

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot these two issues?

below a part of the logfile when I ask it to play a genre, I truncated the last part of the identifier as I don't know if that is a unique key for my installation:

2019-04-08 17:12:22,927 INFO [PlaybackEventsManager] Playback of media item 2743 (Spaceman [06 - Spaceman.flac]) has started at 0% on Identifier=amzn1.ask.device.<truncated>, Profile=Alexa, Name=Amazon Echo
2019-04-08 17:12:26,965 INFO [PlaybackEventsManager] Playback of media item 2743 (Spaceman [06 - Spaceman.flac]) has stopped at 1% on Identifier=amzn1.ask.device.<truncated>, Profile=Alexa, Name=Amazon Echo
2019-04-08 17:12:26,965 INFO [PlaybackEventsManager] Playback of media item 2745 (Calling All The People [08 - Calling All The People.flac]) has started at 0% on Identifier=amzn1.ask.device.<truncated>, Profile=Alexa, Name=Amazon Echo
2019-04-08 17:15:45,751 INFO [PlaybackEventsManager] Playback of media item 2745 (Calling All The People [08 - Calling All The People.flac]) has stopped at 100% on Identifier=amzn1.ask.device.<truncated>, Profile=Alexa, Name=Amazon Echo
2019-04-08 22:10:26,728 INFO [UpdateChecker] Checking if a new version is available
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Re: Alexa skill not functioning

so you can give the devices a Friendly name in the console. But the skill only recognises a selection of names I built-in (Alexa doesn't know a language in its entirety, it needs a set of names / words / phrases that it can learn).

You can try: lounge TV, bedroom player, sony tv, xbox, playstation, etc.

For listening to music, you have to use "Listen to" trigger word, "Play" is used for video content. Still it should not crash the skill, so I'll see what could be causing it.

Also, more details about how to use the skill are at https://serviio.org/alexa

PS: out of curiosity, does MediaBrowser work for you?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:43 pm

I found the bug, btw.

It's due to you having hidden some presentation categories in Serviio, that the skill cannot find now. I'll fix this for 2.0, but for now you can just enable all the categories and it should function better.
<<

hoogerd

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 pm

zip wrote:I found the bug, btw.

It's due to you having hidden some presentation categories in Serviio, that the skill cannot find now. I'll fix this for 2.0, but for now you can just enable all the categories and it should function better.

Thanks !
I haven't tried enabling all of the categories yet, but I managed to get it working now at least on the Echo when using the keywords " listen to"
Somehow after about 30seconds it stopped and restarted playing the same song, and then complete to the end. Could be due to the echo. Nothing in the logs at least other than it starts at 0% end finishes at 100%.

I was not not able to get it working to play it on my Denon receiver. I tried naming it "xbox" and " playstation" but it stated:
" Device not active on your network, Check the alexa app and possibly name your device differently in the Serviio Console"

I now tried " TV" and it works!

One last thing that puzzles me: I asked it to listen to Sweet but sphycho by Ava MAx, and Alexa then states: I'm not able to find the album sweet but psycho by ava max in your library.
If I try it a second time, it suddenly fineds the song. So it seems at first it starts looking for an album i.s.o a song.

other than that: the concept is working but the success rate with my voice by Alexa is about 50% so work for my and Amazon I Guess ;)

btw: Mediabrowser works perfectly on my Galaxy S10 being on 4G networks outside my home, but I'm not using it that much. The main feature for me is to get it working with voice 8-)

Return to Serviio Support & Help