FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

understanding servio

<<

fendertele

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:14 am

understanding servio

Hey everyone i'm new and enjoying it very much.

However I have noticed a few random ips connected to it that look different from the usual 192..... which I know right away is a device connected to my network assigned by router.

the i.p 10.48.XX.X being one that im confused by.

Does Servio show up to nearby pcs/tvs that are not connected to my router ? for example neighbours with wifi discovery on or does it need to be a device that is connected to the same router/network as which servio is connected to ?
<<

fendertele

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 am

Re: understanding servio

as it turns out that 10.xx.xx.xx that keeps connecting is an ipv4 according to my ipconfig. don't know what that means.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:01 am

No, Serviio will only detect devices connected to the IP address range that it is bound to. It has to be physically connected to your network (and that means via WiFi as well), although I have seen devices appear in the list when they have an odd IP address assigned when they are connected via Ethernet. It's not going to see neighbor's devices, unless your Serviio PC has a wireless adapter in AdHoc mode, and even then they would have to know how to connect to it.

If you are seeing something in your ipconfig command that reports a different address range than your network is using (as you said, most home networks are in the 192.168.x.x range), that sounds like your network adapter has more than one IP address assigned to it. That can be done in Windows, and I'm pretty sure you can assign multiple IP addresses to a NIC under Linux as well.

But that means it's only an IP address assigned to the computer you ran IPCONFIG on, which I'm assuming is your Serviio PC. Check your IPv4 settings on your network card. If you are using Windows, look under the Advanced settings. That's where you can assign more than one IP address to the same network adapter.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 am

Maybe there are two network interfaces and two subnets?

Return to Serviio Support & Help