FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio prevents removal of external drive

<<

quah

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:54 am

Serviio prevents removal of external drive

I have used Serviio for years without issues, I'm a big fan, and I recommend it frequently.

Today I tried to eject a removable USB drive and Windows complained that it was in use. I'm sure every Windows user has run into this, and usually we solve the problem by yanking the drive out anyway. However, today I felt like investigating...

Looking at the Windows System log, there is the following entry:

Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          2019-04-24 5:33:59 PM
Event ID:      225
Task Category: (223)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:     
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      redacted
Description:
The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Serviio\bin\ServiioService.exe with process id 8132 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_2343\MSFT30NAA551WG.

The USB drive, however, is not in the Library > Shared folders list in the Serviio console. In fact, that drive has never been shared.

So I am concerned that Serviio is looking at folders/drives that it should not. My concern goes beyond the minor issue of ejecting a drive.

I don't have verbose logging enabled, but I did search the Serviio log and did not find any references to this drive.
<<

quah

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Re: Serviio prevents removal of external drive

Restarting the Serviio service allowed me to remove the USB drive without complaint. This confirms that Serviio had this drive locked - for absolutely no reason!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:35 pm

Re: Serviio prevents removal of external drive

yeah, it seems the Java file monitoring service locks some folders, even though it doesn't need to. unfortunately not much I can do.

Return to Serviio Support & Help