FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

License issue with Version 2.0

<<

MarcB

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 am

License issue with Version 2.0

I installed 2.0 today and when I when to load my license file I got;

[LicenseUploadServerResource] License is not stored because it's not valid due to version check: License version check failed
org.serviio.licensing.InvalidLicenseVersionException: License version check failed

Now what?
<<

MarcB

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am

Re: License issue with Version 2.0

Ok...now I see the message; Provided License file is for an older Serviio version. You must purchase a new license if you want to use this major release.

I guess I didn't see that message when I downloaded and installed 2.0
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed May 22, 2019 11:53 am

Hello, your current v1 license is not valid for the new major release 2.0.

You have 2 options - either rollback to 1.x and keep using that, or purchase a new license for 2.x. Sorry if it was not clear enough on the Purchase web page, it does mention this.

If you purchased this year, you should have received an email with a discount code.
<<

Jimbob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 am

What was the timescale for a discount? I purchased in March 18?
Thanks
<<

zip

Post Thu May 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Everyone who bought since Jan 1st 2019 should have received an email. If you didn't, email sales[at]serviio[dot]org
<<

Hongybarrosz

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 25, 2019 9:41 am

HI,

I have the ssame Issue and my licence is from 2017 , did not receive any message with a discount code from Serviio (I check all my mailboxes)

Could you resend it tom my mailbox ? I will resign for a new licence after .

Thanks a lot

regards
<<

zip

Post Sun May 26, 2019 3:40 pm

As I said above, only people who bought since Jan 2019 received the discount code.
<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 27, 2019 4:45 am

Here's an email I send off to sales....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bummer looks like I’m excluded from getting a discount to re-license serviio 2.0 Pro. I just bought this in the middle of December of last year 2018. Had very little upgrades and support time.

XXXX XXXXXXXXXXX

Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2018 2:06 AM
To: XXXX XXXXXXXXX
Subject: Your Order: Serviio Pro [SER181215-5615-XXXXX]

Thank you for your order!

Your order is currently processing. You will receive additional information via a separate email.

Charges will appear on your bill as: FS *serviio.org

https://sites.fastspring.com/serviio/or ... 5615-XXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com
XXXX XXXXXXXX Drive
Ottawa
Ontario XXX XXX
Canada
Order ID: SER181215-5615-XXXXX

1 Serviio Pro

Total: US$25.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Serviio Sales team
sales@serviio.org

Virus-free. http://www.avg.com
Last edited by Pir8pete on Wed May 29, 2019 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Hongybarrosz

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 am

zip wrote:As I said above, only people who bought since Jan 2019 received the discount code.

Hi,

I send an email last saturday and did not receive any answer yet, how long is it to resend the discount email to me ?

Thanks for your help

P.S: I try to rollback to 1.10 where my licence is available but get a strange display and finally return to 2.0

Regards
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue May 28, 2019 10:34 am

If 1.x license was compatible with 2.x there would be even less point to cut off date. Seems arbitrary and would understand users jumping ship for plex or jellyfin. Hopefully it gets worked out but people expect something more for $25, but again in a month? Not reasonable. I could do much with $25. To pay for serviio twice in two months $25 each time, $50, same price to apply for business license in my state here in USA.

No one is going to go for that and I don't understand this policy or see any upside.

Not calling anyone out or standing on soapbox, I've never paid and I thought it was $20.

I hope it gets fixed and this useful software won't die.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm

freaknik wrote:If 1.x license was compatible with 2.x there would be even less point to cut off date. Seems arbitrary and would understand users jumping ship for plex or jellyfin. Hopefully it gets worked out but people expect something more for $25, but again in a month? Not reasonable. I could do much with $25. To pay for serviio twice in two months $25 each time, $50, same price to apply for business license in my state here in USA.

No one is going to go for that and I don't understand this policy or see any upside.

Not calling anyone out or standing on soapbox, I've never paid and I thought it was $20.

Anyone that purchased a license in 2019 get's the discount code, so that's 5 1/2 months, not just 1. And I believe the Serviio web site has always stated that the license would be valid for all updates within a major version, i.e. version 1.x. I don't think it's unreasonable to pay for a major version upgrade. Many software vendors still charge for updates. Unless Zip wants to continue Serviio as a labor of love, I think he's entitled to receive some compensation to keep this software alive and updated.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 pm

atc98092 wrote:
freaknik wrote:If 1.x license was compatible with 2.x there would be even less point to cut off date. Seems arbitrary and would understand users jumping ship for plex or jellyfin. Hopefully it gets worked out but people expect something more for $25, but again in a month? Not reasonable. I could do much with $25. To pay for serviio twice in two months $25 each time, $50, same price to apply for business license in my state here in USA.

Anyone that purchased a license in 2019 get's the discount code, so that's 5 1/2 months, not just 1. And I believe the Serviio web site has always stated that the license would be valid for all updates within a major version, i.e. version 1.x. I don't think it's unreasonable to pay for a major version upgrade. Many software vendors still charge for updates. Unless Zip wants to continue Serviio as a labor of love, I think he's entitled to receive some compensation to keep this software alive and updated.

5 1/2 months your correct but 1.10.X version hasn’t changed since december of 2018, so I didn't get support for very long before it was cut off. Bought FlashFXP back in the early 2000’s and my “Reg. Key” still works fine with the newest version.

Zip an example of a good idea to have renewing fee's for existing customers;

What would have worked great was what AVG did and have the license key expire then you's need to keep renewing to have pro. This way no one would be surprised and then be upset.
Last edited by Pir8pete on Wed May 29, 2019 1:18 am, edited 10 times in total.
<<

zip

Post Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 pm

I appreciate the model is not for everyone, and perhaps a subscription would have worked better for some. But those that supported Serviio early on got free upgrades for 5 years.
<<

bluefiche

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm

so ive had serviio pro for 4 1/2 years... is that not early enough? kinda misleading on sales... thought license was lifetime... if now its not.. why dont you give everyone that is already a PRO user a Discount. otherwise, i think ill just head over to PLEX. 119.00 for a lifetime.... :D

Serviio Sales <mailer@fastspring.com>
Jan 25, 2015, 1:37 PM
to me

Thank you for your order!

Your order is currently processing. You will receive additional information via a separate email.

Charges will appear on your bill as: FS *serviio.org
<<

MrHands

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 pm

usually there are "upgrade" options for those who own a valid licence already and want to update to a major release... and they get a discount because they're already customer.

I'm not going to upgrade for full price, that's for sure. I'll stay with 1.9 or wait a discount offer
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Serviio has always shown on their web site that the Pro version license was valid for the major version only (1.x, 2.x, etc.). I've been here since before he offered a paid Pro version, and that was stated from the beginning of a paid version. So I don't agree there was anything misleading about it. As far as discounts for all existing Pro licensees, that's up to the Serviio developer to decide.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help