FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Default access user for new devices on version 2

<<

stfreitas

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Default access user for new devices on version 2

On serviio version 1 on status page there was options 'enable access for new devices' and 'default access group'. On version 2 there is only option 'enable access for new devices'. I did not find the option to configure a 'default access user' for new devices on the newer version. Why has this feature been deleted from this new version?
<<

nkodak

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:30 am

Re: Default access user for new devices on version 2

-- Bump --

I'm having the same issue. I have a limited access group, and a full access group, and I used to have it setup so "new devices" defaulted to limited access. Now they are defaulting to full access, even though a user may not be selected. Can we have a "default user" option or something?
Serviio 2.1 Pro on CentOS 7 | Roku 4K Streaming Stick | Roku 3 | HD & 4K TV's
<<

mrmichaelrb

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:59 pm

It is perplexing to me why "new devices" are given full access instead of some kind of default access. Guests are given the highest level of access, above other known and established users! It makes no sense, and goes directly against all security best practices. The only two options right now for new devices are either 1) full access to everything or 2) no access to anything.

I guess for now, I'll have to turn off allowing new devices access to Serviio, and enable them manually as needed. Otherwise, a reboot of the router might cause IP address reassignments and then suddenly an old device might be elevated to become a "new device" and have access to all sorts of things it shouldn't.

It is even more disheartening to hear that previous versions allowed defaults to be set correctly. It's a hassle if you have guests or friends over and want to show off your media (but not your private stuff). It kinda defeats the purpose of plug-n-play that DLNA is supposed to provide. And, it's even worse if you have a lot of devices.
<<

mrmichaelrb

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:58 am

I came up with a work-around to fix this:

https://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29875

Return to Serviio Support & Help