FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio disappears from network (but rarely)

<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Serviio disappears from network (but rarely)

First off, I'll say that I think this may not actually be a "Serviio thing" because the same thing used to happen when I was running a TVMobili server on similar equipment.

I have a Mac mini running Sierra (fully updated). I've not exposed Serviio to the Internet; the unit only serves my local home network. It's connected via Ethernet to the switch. I have Roku's of various models (Model 2 or newer). The mini was put into service (as a Serviio box) about a month ago. Prior to that, I used a 2007 plastic MacBook.

Here's the problem: When using the Roku Media Player app, last night the Serviio just wasn't "there". I rebooted the Roku; same issue. Solution: I rebooted the mini and the Serviio was back online; perfect. BTW, I did check that the mini wasn't frozen by connecting to the mini via Remote Desktop. I did launch the Serviio Console on the mini (remotely) but didn't notice anything awry. Unfortunately, I did not scroll far enough down the page to see the Start/Stop button for the server. Perhaps I could have resolved this issue with two clicks of the mouse.

When I had this issue on the TVMobili box, I set that Mac to reboot every morning at 3AM and never again had any problem. If I need to schedule the mini to reboot itself weekly, I can do that. But what i'd love to find out is what is causing the probem on an otherwise perfect media server. I've looked at the mini's log files (in Utilities>Console) but I'm not really sure what to look for. I know it happened in the last few days (but hadn't used the Roku Media Player until last night) so I can isolate it to sometime in the last, oh, 3 days at most.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
Barry
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Serviio disappears from network (but rarely)

Is it possible the network card goes to sleep or something?

Serviio normally advertises itself to the renderers avery few minutes.
<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 pm

I had another issue on my network (Macs not appearing in Windows machines' Network until toggling File Sharing off then on). I was told to set IPv6 to link-local. I'll give that a try; what the hell :) .

I have "Wake for network access" turned on in the Energy Saver prefs but, as I have set this machine to -never- sleep, that shouldn't make a difference.
<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: Serviio disappears from network (not rarely any more)

Did it again last night (disappeared from the Roku Media Player). I launched Remote Desktop on another Mac, logged in, and saw the Serviio Console still up on the screen (where I had left it the previous night). I scrolled down and saw the server ON. I toggled it off, waited a few seconds, and toggled it on. I went back to the Roku and launched the Roku Media Player app again. Now the Serviio box showed up and it streamed a movie exactly as expected.

So what's going on here? If anyone hs any suggestion where I might look in the (OSX) Console for some sort of log item, I'll do it. In the meantime, I may have to go back to what I used to do with TVMobili (schedule a daily restart of the computer at 3AM).

Advice welcomed.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm

My daughter sees something kinda similar. When watching Serviio on their LG TV, after completing playback of a title, Serviio disappears and can't reconnect without powering the TV off and back on. I can't say if it started when I updated her to 1.10.1, or if there might have been a TV firmware update that I'm unaware of. I'm waiting to see if it happens with the next version of Serviio, but I'm not certain when that will be released. I do know it never happens on my network, but I don't have any LG displays. Using a Sony BD player, Roku players and TVs, Samsung and Panasonic TVs and an Nvidia Shield, I've never had it happen here. Really hard to say if it's a Serviio issue or the player.

Serviio maintains a log file in the Serviio install folder, in a Logs sub-folder. There might be something there.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Just checked whether the Serviio server was actually available on the network. I have an Android app called Slick UPnP which, as its name implies, is a DLNA client. The Mac (hosting the Serviio server) did not appear. I remoted into the Mac and toggled off/on Servio through its Console app; *presto*, the Serviio server was back up on the network.

I changed the IPv6 setting from Link-local back to automatic and have restarted the machine. This was the second time the Serviio box has disappeared from the network this morning. Maybe I pooched it by mucking with the IPv6 setting; it's back to what it was yesterday (and is the default setting for Macs).

I'm prepping another mini running Mint Linux and will put it on the network just for grins.

Looking in the (OSX) Console for logs, I do see a "serviio" folder (/var/log/serviio) but it's empty.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:42 pm

I have a Mint install that I've been playing with, and Serviio works fine on it as well.

The /var/log/Serviio folder is not where Serviio stores its log. It is in the Serviio install location, which you chose when you installed it. I believe I put mine in /opt, so the full path to the logs would be /opt/Serviio/logs. Depending on how you installed it, the Serviio folder name might have the version number in it, i.e. /opt/Serviio 1.10.1/
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info re: log location. I looked there and found the file, opened and examined it, but didn't see anything that jumped out at me except for a number of metadata retrieval errors due to some -very- old and/or unpublished videos. I decided to turn off the metadata retrieval which should stop those errors. I don't know if this will resolve the "disappearance" issue but we'll see.

If you think something in the log file would prove useful, please let me know what I should be looking for. I could copy/paste a portion of the log file into a post here if you think it would be useful.

Thanks,
Barry
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 am

Honestly, it's best if we have the complete log, not a slice, since as you note it's difficult to say what section we would need to look at. Most of the personal stuff is when Serviio first starts, and that is easy to remove, but I can understand if some people prefer not showing your file structure in your shared folder or the names of your media. As to what might be helpful, Zip (the developer) would have to offer a suggestion there. I'm not bright enough to follow everything going on in the log, especially when debug logging is enabled. :lol:
Dan

<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Found the Serviio server unresponsive (not showing up on my network) this afternoon. I used the terminal command to start it...
  Code:
 sudo launchctl load -F /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.serviio.server.plist

...but imagine my surprise when it told me it was already running!

So I stopped it using the Terminal...
  Code:
 sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.serviio.server.plist

...and then restarted it using the first line of code, above.

Within a few moments, it was back up on the LAN.

I've attached the log file (zip'd) so maybe there's a hint of what's going on. I do see some "WARN" lines in the log but it's kinda geek to me.
Hopefully, someone might figure this out.

Thanks
Attachments
serviio 2.log.zip
(112.49 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
<<

rumplestiltskin

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:04 pm

I used those two "stop", "start" commands separated by a line with "sleep 5" in a text doc, then chmod'd it to be a terminal script. I can just drop it on an alias of the Terminal app, enter the password, and the server stops, waits 5 seconds, then starts. Seems to resolve the transient issue when it occurs (as I can use Screen Sharing to get into that Mac on the LAN).

Return to Serviio Support & Help