FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology Diskstation Cant Activate HD Thumbnails

<<

dovedescent7

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Synology Diskstation Cant Activate HD Thumbnails

I know how to Activate hd thumbs in Windows Serviio (or at least i have) but i cant find a solution anywhere in the forums for how to activate hd thumbs on Synology nas. I have the DS918+

I've tried the typical changing the profiles.xml and no dice after 2x rebooting Synology and turnong off/on Serviio, and re-scanning in console.

Also, i cant seem to get thumbnails showing instead of the generic folder that shows. (In folder view Serviio)

Can someone break down for me how to accomplish activating HD thumbnails specifically for Synology?

Btw these are changed already.
[*]<ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>

<AllowedImageResolutions large="4096x4096" medium="1920x1920" small="1280x1280" />
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Re: Synology Diskstation Cant Activate HD Thumbnails

That should work, as there's no special configuration that I am aware of for a NAS device. The ThumbnailsResolution switch can be within a device profile, as well as within Profile #1, so if the profile you're using has that set to DLNA it would override the setting from Profile #1.

I don't use AllowedImageResolutions on my servers. Instead, I edit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file located in the \bin folder of the Serviio installation with the following line:

-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

I'm pretty sure that file exists on a NAS install as well. Also, just re-scanning the library won't refresh the thumbnails. Go to the Metadata tab on the Serviio console and click "Rescan Video Metadata". That will refresh the thumbnails.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:04 pm

This topic has been raised several times before see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17870&p=120772&hilit=artwork+hd#p120772

I have brilliant artwork.
As indicated I do not think it has anything to do with your NAS.
Are you referring to audio or video or both?

If you do not already have a user-profiles.xml file in "Program Files/Serviio/config" directory I have attached one (Generic HD profile) that you can try. That gives you 320x320 by default instead of 160x160) - that's the first step.
Then set the higher resolution you want i.e. 600 or 1000 as you require. e.g. -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=600 in the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file.
Regenerating the images some times seems to be a problem - experiment by adding a new entry and have patience.
(Note-if you are not using the generic profile for your device you will need to change or setup an alternative HD capable profile).

I have made a request for improvements to this process, particularly as some of the changes are lost on an upgrade. Infuriating. see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25218#p120942
Also configuration not simple for people not comfortable messing in the innards of Serviio.
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
user-profiles.xml file with Generic HD profile
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

dovedescent7

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Paul C wrote:This topic has been raised several times before see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17870&p=120772&hilit=artwork+hd#p120772

I have brilliant artwork.
As indicated I do not think it has anything to do with your NAS.
Are you referring to audio or video or both?

If you do not already have a user-profiles.xml file in "Program Files/Serviio/config" directory I have attached one

This is the problem. I'm not sure if you are aware paul but synology is based on Linux. Your "Program Files/Serviio/config" suggestion is for windows. That doessnt help me. I know how to do this on windows.
if you were familiar with Synology, as i have indicated in my post title, you would know there is no "Program Files/Serviio/config" in root directory of Synology, or any NAS for that matter.
So you are incorrect, this (specific) topic has not been raised or at the very least not solved, not for Synology diskstation Linux. I've seen it for other Nas devices, but those solutions arent working for me either.
No offense but you kind of started this off by telling me this has been addressed before as if i did not search for a solution. But i have searched a lot,and though this solution for windows works, it is not resolved for the operating system i am referring to. You may have saved yourself some time by reading and understanding my post. But thank you.

I am only referring to video only for anyone who has knowledge on this subject for Linux/Synology
<<

dovedescent7

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:59 pm

atc98092 wrote:That should work, as there's no special configuration that I am aware of for a NAS device. The ThumbnailsResolution switch can be within a device profile, as well as within Profile #1, so if the profile you're using has that set to DLNA it would override the setting from Profile #1.

I don't use AllowedImageResolutions on my servers. Instead, I edit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file located in the \bin folder of the Serviio installation with the following line:

-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

I'm pretty sure that file exists on a NAS install as well. Also, just re-scanning the library won't refresh the thumbnails. Go to the Metadata tab on the Serviio console and click "Rescan Video Metadata". That will refresh the thumbnails.

Thanks for this post. "Rescan Video Metadata" is what i meant to say. But this solution i have not tried, i will give it a whirl and report back, much appreciated

May i ask, why would the devs at Serviio name something with an "exe" as in "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" for a synology nas running linux? Are they purposely trying to confuse people? Linux doesn't use EXE extensions!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:55 pm

dovedescent7 wrote:May i ask, why would the devs at Serviio name something with an "exe" as in "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" for a synology nas running linux? Are they purposely trying to confuse people? Linux doesn't use EXE extensions!

That I can't answer. Zip is the one and only developer of Serviio. Since it's not really an exe file, I agree that is seems out of place on a non-Windows device. But it of course doesn't hurt anything being there, either. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 pm

for the NAS / Linux, it'd be in the serviio.sh file.

I will try to make this easier in the future versions.

Return to Serviio Support & Help