FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Artwork quality...

<<

Vbaldacc

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Artwork quality...

Hi All,

Using Serviio on a Mac streaming to an Auralic device using the Lightening DS application on my iPhone, and the artwork quality is poor compared to other tools such as Plex

Has anyone been able to fix this on the Mac application and if so, can you please provide some steps on how to resolve this as I don’t see anything in the application to adjust.

Thanks in advance.
Vin.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Artwork quality...

This topic has been raised several times before see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24212
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

Vbaldacc

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:05 am

Thanks - I actually came across that posting but there was nothing specific to Mac and where exactly one makes changes to the config file to specify the size of the artwork. A nice detailed tutorial would be nice as I am sure a lot of people run into this issue.

I’ll poke around tomorrow and see if I can figure it out... cheers.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:18 pm

You need to make two changes. One is the alter the profile you're using to change from DLNA to HD images. But as Zip noted in that thread that only changes the image resolution from 160x160 to 320x320. To improve that you edit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file. That file should be installed in the /bin folder of wherever you have installed Serviio on your Mac. I can't say where that might be on your computer, as I'm sure you have the option of installing it almost anywhere, the same as with Linus. While Windows also allows that flexibility, few people install it anywhere other than the default Program Files location. I use -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000, which gives me fairly nice quality images.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Vbaldacc

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:54 am

atc98092 wrote:You need to make two changes. One is the alter the profile you're using to change from DLNA to HD images. But as Zip noted in that thread that only changes the image resolution from 160x160 to 320x320. To improve that you edit the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file. That file should be installed in the /bin folder of wherever you have installed Serviio on your Mac. I can't say where that might be on your computer, as I'm sure you have the option of installing it almost anywhere, the same as with Linus. While Windows also allows that flexibility, few people install it anywhere other than the default Program Files location. I use -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000, which gives me fairly nice quality images.

Thanks for the info - I didn't get a chance to dig into this further today as family took over! :-) - I did however go looking for the vmoptions file as I just read your post (Thank You!) which I am not able t find it on my Mac. I did find a an application-profiles.xml file within the config folder which is found within /library/application support/serviio - There are many sections in this file - the question is where to make the entry?

I see this entry <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution> in many sections - I also see the following in one section <ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution> which I believe is within the serviiGo section for older legacy devices. Do I need to simply change the DLNA to 'HD'? - Do I need to put a value for the resolution size next to the '<ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>' entry and if so, which one as there are several?

To add, I do not have the ServiioService.exe.vmoptions file so if that is key, then any pointers from anyone on where that lives would be appreciated. I did a search in the application support folder and nothing was found.

Cheers,
Vin.

PS I should also add that I found a file called profiles.xml which contains the very same ThumbnailsResolution entries and with one entry with DLNA which is for the generic DLNA profile. Should I be editing this file instead and again if so, what changes am I making as most of the sections seem to have the 'HD' entries already.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Yes, changing DLNA to HD in the generic profile thumbnail setting is the first step. This is in the profiles.xml file in the config folder. But you should have the vmoptions file in the /library/application support/serviio/bin folder. The application-profiles.xml file does not require any changes for this.

Since Zip makes Serviio consistent across operating systems, I would be surprised if the vmoptions file isn't in the /bin folder. That's where it is under Windows and Linux. Since MacOS is similar to Linux, it should look the same. But if you find the bin folder and it's not there, then we need someone with Mac experience to help out here. I have nothing I can test it with here.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Vbaldacc

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 am

atc98092 wrote:Yes, changing DLNA to HD in the generic profile thumbnail setting is the first step. This is in the profiles.xml file in the config folder. But you should have the vmoptions file in the /library/application support/serviio/bin folder. The application-profiles.xml file does not require any changes for this.

Since Zip makes Serviio consistent across operating systems, I would be surprised if the vmoptions file isn't in the /bin folder. That's where it is under Windows and Linux. Since MacOS is similar to Linux, it should look the same. But if you find the bin folder and it's not there, then we need someone with Mac experience to help out here. I have nothing I can test it with here.

Thank You. I am travelling this week but will take a look when I get home over the weekend and report back.
Cheers,
Vin.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:20 am

Vbaldacc wrote:Thanks - I actually came across that posting but there was nothing specific to Mac and where exactly one makes changes to the config file to specify the size of the artwork.

The precise instructions were in the post I referred to (albeit for windows) and specifically viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24212#p116005
i.e. the vmoptions file in the bin directory.
You just needed to locate the Mac equivalents.

It might have been helpful if your posts were in the original forum rather than create yet another "artwork" post as this might have helped future users.
Can I also suggest that when you have sorted it you post the specific methodology and instructions for Mac users, which is what I did for Windows.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

Vbaldacc

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 am

Paul C wrote:
Vbaldacc wrote:Thanks - I actually came across that posting but there was nothing specific to Mac and where exactly one makes changes to the config file to specify the size of the artwork.

The precise instructions were in the post I referred to (albeit for windows) and specifically viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24212#p116005
i.e. the vmoptions file in the bin directory.
You just needed to locate the Mac equivalents.

It might have been helpful if your posts were in the original forum rather than create yet another "artwork" post as this might have helped future users.
Can I also suggest that when you have sorted it you post the specific methodology and instructions for Mac users, which is what I did for Windows.

Apologies as I am new to this forum and did not realise that I was posting another 'artwork' post as you have pointed out.

I will look to locate the Mac equivalents but without knowing what those would be and not finding anything that lists as 'vmoptions', I am not sure what one would be looking for to associate as an equivalent on the Mac platform.

Yes, once I have managed to figure this all out which is quite surprising that no one has already done this, I would be more than happy to provide the steps so that future Mac users don't have to go through this painful process like myself...

Return to Serviio Support & Help