FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Roku Express - Files found but won't play

<<

brimar

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am

Roku Express - Files found but won't play

Hi,

I've done searches on the forums and haven't found anything about my issue directly so hopefully someone can help.

I'm new to Serviio (and home networks in general) and have found it flawless when streaming to my Sony Bravia in my family room. Quick loading, great picture and sound.

But in my bedroom I have a Hisense TV without wifi. I read Serviio is compatible with Roku which I then bought and set up. Native apps work fine (Netflix, Vudu, et.) When I open my Roku Express Media Viewer it does find the Serviio server and all my media files. All have their correct names and thumbnails, year of release and length. At this point, all seems to be working fine.

However, after I select the film, the "retrieving" progress bar starts but then gets stuck around 3/4 of the way for a few minutes. The screen goes black and I see the scrubber bar appear, again with the correct length and title. Then nothing.

I have let it sit for awhile but it never is able to play.

All my files are Mpeg4 and about 7 GBs.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Re: Roku Express - Files found but won't play

Hi there!

If you are using the default Roku profile that is selected automatically, try changing it to the Roku 1080 TV profile. Your player is more capable than the early Roku players, so doesn't need some of the transcoding the default Roku profile uses. Also, are you trying to play HD (1080) videos, or SD (DVD rips)? Is it every video you try, or will some play?

Which model Express are you using? There are four different models that are named Express, 3700, 3710, 3900 and 3910. I'm not certain if any or all of them support MPEG-2 video, so instead of the 1080 TV profile you might need to use the Roku 1080 Player (2016+) profile.

If that doesn't help, I'll need to see some media information on a video that won't play. There's a link in my sig line explaining how to get that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

brimar

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:19 am

Re: Roku Express - Files found but won't play

Hi,

Thanks for the tip!

I changed the profile to the Roku 1080 Player (2016+) and now after about 3 minutes the film does start. But after about 10 seconds it gets large blocky pixels and goes back to a loading screen and the cycle repeats. It is certainly "closer".

I have about 40 blurays rips on my hard drive. All should be saved at1080. None have been able to play so far in my bedroom. All play perfect on my Bravia.

I have Dish Network, (which I know is not officially supported) and I can get all films to load in their default Media Player - but there's only audio and no picture. Is there another profile to use for a Hopper3?

Perhaps getting a better signal to my room would help. I can look into repeaters.

Thanks again.

Return to Serviio Support & Help