FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

User restrictions not working properly?! Empty genre folders

<<

jg.a

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:31 am

User restrictions not working properly?! Empty genre folders

Hi

In short: users who are not allowed access to a shared folder can still find the genre folder created with contend only from that shared folder. It's empty for them, but if the genre name contains any explicit wording the harm is possibly already done.

In long: I have a lot's of documentaries shared by my Serviio server. Both strange and normal. In this case it was Louis Theroux. I don't remember where I got the documentaries files from, but when the files are tagged (some very badly) of _all_ the content of that documentary episode it can make things a bit strange.
I'm just lucky that I found that I had a "Nazi" genre showing up on my living room TV (which don't have access to the shared folder containing the Louis Theroux documentaries) before I had guests coming over. It didn't look any better that the folder was empty. The cause of that genre tag was this episode btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_and_the_Nazis. If anyone of you are familiar with Louis and what he make documentaries about you wouldn't want each and everyone of those documentaries to show up as a genre as it did for me. It could just be me and my badly tagged files, but I think this should be fixable. Going through each file is too big of a hassle, the easy way there is just to remove all the genre tags from all files, and that will just remove the genre folder usability totally.
So the Genre folder is broken for me ATM and I have turned it off. Which is a bit annoying for when I or guests want to something in a genre, but has no easy way of browsing that content.

Note: I haven't tested with the age limits on the users, but there's little of my media who has any information in that tag, so I guess then it won't have any effect?
Also note: In theory this could also effect others of the 'presentation folders', but I don't use any of them so I can't say for sure

Possible solutions:
1: create separate genre folders for each user according to if they can access the content or not.

2: a setting to turn off genre (and/or presentation tags) sorting on certain shared folders. (This will also help on 'fixing' the 'problem' if the shared files are tagged in a bad way)

3: automatically hide (all?) empty folders. Movie folders without movies are hidden, why doesn't that happens to empty genre folders?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: User restrictions not working properly?! Empty genre fol

It is all integrated with user's access rights you set up in the console. You are right that empty folders still show. I will look into how easy it's be to fix, but I think I did look at it a few years ago and it was pretty complicated with the way it works.

Return to Serviio Support & Help