Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:01 am

How to: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To Change Server Name

Code:
edit the word "Serviio" on lines 12, 339 for version 1.10.1 and lower, lines 12, 344 for version 2.0 and up;

<FriendlyName>Serviio ({computerName})</FriendlyName>
<FriendlyName>Serviio ({computerName}): 1</FriendlyName>

to file "profiles.xml" in folder -> [[C:\Program Files\Serviio\config]]

To Change Thumbnail Resolution

Code:
added line;

-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResoulution=640

to file "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" in folder -> [[C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin]]

change line 197 for version 1.10.1 and lower, line 201 for version 2.0 and up;

<ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>

Last edited by Pir8pete on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:04 am

Re: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

Zip can you sticky this please, to help people find it easier then going through multi threads!!!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Re: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

You only need to edit line 12 to change the server name. Line 339 only applies to that one profile (XBox 360). No idea why that profile has that line, and Zip should probably edit it from the next update. It's supposed to be the friendly name of the detected device, not the server name. Notice it's under the <Detection> section, not <DeviceDescription>, where the server name is found.

You can also remove the ({computerName}) part if you'd like to have a cleaner name. On my two Serviio boxes, one just says Serviio while the other says Test Serviio. That way my family can instantly see which is my test server and which is the one they need to use.

One final comment, you can make the resolution number whatever you'd like. I have mine set at 1000, and the icon images look quite nice. Just want people to understand that number is flexible.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Re: How to: Change Server Name and Thumbnail Resolution

How can I make these thumbnails pics fit better? inside the box on my 2017 LG oLED TV

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Pir8pete wrote:How can I make these thumbnails pics fit better? inside the box on my 2017 LG oLED TV

I don't think there's anything that can be done from the Serviio side. My daughter's LG TV does the same thing, while my Samsung TVs, Roku and Shield players all look fine.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 pm

[quote="Pir8pete"]
  Code:
added line;
    -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResoulution=640
to file "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" in folder -> [[C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin]]

change line 197;
<ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>

This is very mis-leading advice - as changes to both will be lost on Serviio upgrade.
There are several threads currently discussing how to maintain these beneficial changes across version changes see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25641
Also profiles.xml specifically says "not" to amend the generic profile (which is what you are doing).

Importantly I think Zip has this issue on his v2.1 list so it may change/be resolved at last.

UPDATE: 09/06/2020 This has been solved in Version 2.1 as changes are now retained during version updates.
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 am

Paul C wrote:This is very mis-leading advice - as changes to both will be lost on Serviio upgrade.
There are several threads currently discussing how to maintain these beneficial changes across version changes see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25641
Also profiles.xml specifically says "not" to amend the generic profile (which is what you are doing).

Importantly I think Zip has this issue on his v2.1 list so it may change/be resolved at last.

Not really misleading, but you are correct that each Serviio update replaces the profiles.xml file so the changes are lost. There's no danger in editing either the server name nor the thumbnail resolution line. It's the guts of the profile that needs to remain as is.
Dan

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:30 am

atc98092 wrote:you are correct that each Serviio update replaces the profiles.xml file so the changes are lost.

Not only the profiles.xml file but also the serviio.exe.vmoptions file - forget one or both and everything goes wrong again!
also see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25641
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Paul C wrote:
atc98092 wrote:you are correct that each Serviio update replaces the profiles.xml file so the changes are lost.

Not only the profiles.xml file but also the serviio.exe.vmoptions file - forget one or both and everything goes wrong again!
also see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25641

True, although making only the change in the profiles.xml file does improve the thumbnail resolution over the DLNA standard. :D
Dan

<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:38 am

not misleading at all
ahh come on just re-edit the files if the update wipes it, takes two seconds, not like an update comes out every day, not even every month at that, barely once a year!

I just back up the files and drop it back in the folder and done. worst case is I use Notepad+++ and compare if the new files has anything new

thx for making this a sticky
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Why can't these settings be performed in the admin area......I mean really, what is the point of having to edit files to customize the most basic features.

Makes zero sense to me.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:09 am

Just a guess, but that would likely require a change in the database design, since you wouldn't want to keep those settings in a text file. I imagine he tries to avoid that type of database changes as much as possible.
Dan

<<

Pir8pete

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:14 pm

How would I be able to customize this name that shows up from serviio?
This is the name being displayed by serviio on my other network systems all Running Win10 Pro 2004 (19041.450) RETAIL

Ex: MOViES (Bedroom-PC)

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Change it exactly as you said in the original post. Inside this tag in the Profiles.xml file:

<FriendlyName>Serviio</FriendlyName>

Whatever you enter inside the <FriendlyName> tag is what is shown on your players. With it as above, it just says "Serviio". On my test server, I changed it to say "Test Serviio" so my wife knows that isn't the main server. You can see I removed the computer name from the tag, as I just feel that's clutter for my users. But whatever you place within the tag is what appears.
Dan

<<

SavoGamer

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:13 am

I mean really, what is the point of having to edit files to customize the most basic features. Makes zero sense to me.
<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:04 pm

How do I change the thumbnail resolution in the QNAP version of Serviio? Is it possible to make the default resolution of 500x500 pixels in the program?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:54 pm

SPEARFISHER wrote:How do I change the thumbnail resolution in the QNAP version of Serviio? Is it possible to make the default resolution of 500x500 pixels in the program?

You change it exactly how the original post above states. The only difference is that there is now a user specific file to place this info in, so that future Serviio updates don't remove your edit. You now place that new line in the "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions" file located in the Serviio/config folder, not the /bin folder.

I can't say where Serviio is installed in your QNAP NAS, so I can't give you the full file path. Wherever Serviio is installed, there will be a config folder. Edit the vmoptions file in that folder, then restart the Serviio process.

Don't forget to change the <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution> line in each profile you use, or you don't get the higher resolution images.
Dan

<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 am

I changed the settings according to the recommendations above and everything worked. The best quality was obtained when setting the value -Dservio.hdThumbnailResoulution=1500.
I noticed that thumbnails are not created for files front.jpg. Is there some kind of filter by the name of the thumbnail image file by its size?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:49 pm

If you're using local files, and not online resources, I can only find this guidance:

Local poster
If there is a local image file representing a music album or a video it can be used. These are the files that will be looked for:

Audio: folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg, cover.jpg, front_cover.jpg, {something}[front].jpg
Video: dvdcover.jpg, movie.jpg, name including "poster".jpg, {media_file_name}.jpg, {media_file_name}.tbn, {media_file_name}.thm, {media_file_name}-thumb.jpg, {media_file_name}-poster.jpg

I don't know if it treats local files differently than online sources. I believe it will ignore files that have a period (.) at the beginning of the file name, and perhaps an underscore or ampersand (@). But I don't think there's an ignore based on anything else.
Dan

<<

SPEARFISHER

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 am

After making changes to the configuration files, the quality of most thumbnails has improved, but it still remains not perfect.
Look at the difference in image quality when listening to music with QNAP and Serviio. In the Serviio variant, small letters are
not readable and the picture is blurred. It seems that when setting the quality value above 1000-1500, it does not change in any way.
Are there any other parameters that can be changed to make the image quality perfect? Is it possible to make a selection
of the quality of thumbnails in the standard interface of the program? This is possible on the QNAP DLNA server.

atc98092 wrote:If you're using local files, and not online resources, I can only find this guidance:

Local poster
If there is a local image file representing a music album or a video it can be used... .
Attachments
QNAP DLNA.png
QNAP DLNA Server
QNAP DLNA.png (472 KiB) Viewed 20302 times
Serviio DLNA.png
Serviio DLNA server
Serviio DLNA.png (317.84 KiB) Viewed 20302 times
Next

Return to Serviio Support & Help