FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HOWTO: Albums inside Artist inside Genre

<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:54 pm

HOWTO: Albums inside Artist inside Genre

Hi Having PRO, have met very big stopper. Serviio metadata publisher flattens music hierarchy. That is, on client:

- select Genres
- select, say, Jazz

Now it is expected to get Artists list, and, after selecting an artist, to get Albums list. But after selecting some concrete genre I get just all songs of the genre!

Have I missed some configuration option?
If it isn't the case - please, add expected music library hierarchy navigation! Other DLNA servers available under LInux seems to be dead or at embryonic state. Serviio is the hope :)
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

Re: HOWTO: Albums inside Artist inside Genre

it's not configurable. But everyone uses this differently. Some prefer flatter structures and like genre songs mixed together, rather than further grouped
<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:57 pm

zip wrote:But everyone uses this differently
Yes, you are right! For all these cases metadata can (and should :) ) be presented different ways at the same time!
<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Does 2.x support the needed hierarchy?
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am

student975 wrote:Does 2.x support the needed hierarchy?

No is the answer to your question.
Personally I like it the way it is. I sometimes select Genres/Jazz then use the shuffle on BubbleUPnP to randomly play the jazz tracks. Very nice.
If I want to select a jazz artist and then an album I use the "Artist" category (I do not use the Album option).
Once you have a large library you then need artists divided into A, B, C etc. under a Genres before you get to artist details.
Some people would want this others not - so where do you stop.

Otherwise I think you will find Serviio works brilliantly and I have used it for nearly four years.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

student975

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Paul C wrote:No is the answer to your question.

Thanks for the clarification!
Paul C wrote:Otherwise I think you will find Serviio works brilliantly and I have used it for nearly four years.

I have used the app at times of 1.x. Hierarchy support would move me to buy 2.x license also.

Return to Serviio Support & Help