FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Moving to a new computer

<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Moving to a new computer

My main computer holding all my media files and my Serviio library has died. Luckily the drives are OK (and were backed up too). I was wondering ifafter instaling Serviio on my new computer, when I get it , can I just copy the contents of the library folder from the old drive to overwrite the contents of the library folder on the new nstallation or is there more to recovering all my settings?

I have been meaning to upgrade to the latest version of Serviio so will do it as part of the recovery process. If recovery is as simple as I describe abopve will I need to first recover using the older version on the new computer then upgarde the software to the new version or can I just go straight to the latest version.

Thanks in advance
Mike
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Re: Moving to a new computer

My personal opinion: since you're planning on an upgrade, I'd just do a clean install and setup with the latest version. While I've never encountered a problem upgrading Serviio, I have certainly seen issues with other software. There's always a risk that the upgrade doesn't go smoothly and you have to start fresh anyway. Depending on the amount of media, shared folders, and any online sources to configure, it generally doesn't take long to set up a new install. Pulling the metadata from online sources is the one thing that takes time. With my library of about 4000 videos it takes an hour or so.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks I'll take that advice. It will be a few weeks before I get the new computer.
Shouldn't be a big deal to recreate my set up.

Mike
<<

MikeL

Serviio lover

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 am

Just a quick update. Got my new PC (custom build from Velocity Micro). Installed 2.0 and reloaded my libraries. So far everything seems to be working great.

Love the multi user feature.

Mike

Return to Serviio Support & Help