FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mediabrowser in 2.0 pro not working

<<

mc4bbs

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:04 am

Mediabrowser in 2.0 pro not working

I upgraded to 2.0 because I love Serviio and want to support them. I'd been running an old version, but was prompted to upgrade. Since upgrading, mediabrowser no longer functions (some screens don't build and I've never made it to a player screen). I am able to watch on my Samsung TV, as I used to be able to and I am transcoding -- all as I was on the older version (which worked fine). Can someone advise please?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:43 am

Re: Mediabrowser in 2.0 pro not working

First thing to try is clearing your browser cache. MediaBrowser 2.0 uses some different processes from older versions, and sometimes the old code remains in cache and causes problems.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mc4bbs

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Yeah, I've done all the advice in similar posts involving Mediabrowser, including:

- Multiple browser testing (ie, firefox, chrome, edge)
- Flushing the cache
- Using incognito mode
- Completely removing Serviio from the host server and re-installing from scratch

A few other things I cannot think of. It was all working fine with the older version of Serviio. I really regret upgrading to 2.0, I was expecting better things, not broken things. :cry:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:38 pm

I can't explain the issues you're reporting. All I can say is 2.0 works fine on both of my Serviio computers. Perhaps a Serviio log might assist Zip with troubleshooting.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

mc4bbs

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:13 pm

I am using a NAS, if that makes any difference.

One of the things I really liked about Serviio was the ability to access my media from my home server via a streaming protocol. Having it not work is very frustrating.

I'm going to roll back to the older version of Serviio and see if the problem goes away -- and if it does, I guess my only recourse is to get my money back for inoperative 2.0 version.

This is such a shame. I really like their product, as it was.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:16 pm

I've never run Serviio from a NAS, but many users have without issue. Perhaps Patters can assist with whatever issue you were having. I believe there are specific Java requirements when running on a NAS, but can't say for sure.
Dan

<<

mc4bbs

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:29 am

Thanks for trying to help.

I just deleted every trace of Serviio 2.0 from my system and re-installed 1.10.1. (It's a good thing I still had my licence file for version 1.0!)

The big trick with a NAS and Serviio (and many other network services that use NAS) is that you need to go into SERVICES and change the user who's running it to an admin account with access to the NAS (i.e. the credentials to connect are stored with the profile) -- you must also address the NAS fully, you may NOT use Windows mapped drives (i.e. "\\SUPER_NAS\videos")

So, 1.10.1 is installed now and it's already scanning the library. Since a few titles are ready, I went to Mediabrowser saw that it is fully operational again.

I guess this is where I ask for my money back? (Nawwwwwww -- this is a good product, I was just disturbed that 2.0 has less functionality than 1.x)

I will check out version 2.0.x and other future versions on a test computer to see if the problem with Mediabrowser goes away. Until then, what changed with 2.0?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:41 pm

The most significant change with 2.0 is user accounts. If you didn't set those up, that might have been the cause of your problems. User accounts aren't required when connecting from networked players, but I believe they are required for MediaBrowser.

I'm not home right now, so I can't check to see if he included any documentation for using user accounts. They aren't difficult to configure, but does take a little time.
Dan

<<

mc4bbs

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 pm

I set up a user account, I was able to login to the Mediabrowser, I was able to navigate through the menus up until the menu prior to the menu with the individual titles were shown (films, shows, images, music, whatever) and it would not load those. In addition, this navigation was much slower with 2.0. I'm back on 1.10.1 and everything is working once again.

One problem I've had with 1.10.1 (which I also had with 2.0) was while watching from my Samsung LED television, every once in a while it would crash and kick me back into the television menuing system. This is sporadic and does not seem to have any triggering/root cause and powering down my television, re-starting it and resuming from where it was interrupted is a small price to pay for watching my films and shows on the big screen with nearly zero-hassle.

Serviio seems to be best for my purposes, I have tried other similar systems.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:49 pm

With Serviio 2.0, you need to both create the user account for MediaBrowser login, but you also must assign that user account permission to access the shared media folders. This is done in the console by editing each shared folder and checking the access box for the user account desired. This is how you control access at the folder level.
Dan

<<

getwilder

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why nothing would show up on MediaBrowser or ServiiGo. Now I see the instructions clearly written on the users window "Give access to your shared folders to selected users to restrict access to your media." although it should probably be edited to say "Give access to your shared folders to selected users to allow access to your media."

I went through and added my single user to the media folders that I am sharing and presto, it works.
<<

csicky

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 pm

I just created an account here to tell this: WHY IS THIS INFO NOT PROVIDED IN A VISIBLE PLACE?????

I don't have time to hunt information in forums.

Return to Serviio Support & Help