FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Impossible to reach Serviio out of my network

<<

TheFrenchy

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Impossible to reach Serviio out of my network

Hi, I try to use Serviio to broadcast out of my local network but without success.
I did many searches into this forum before and did'nt found some help :(

1st, apologize cause my English language is'nt native but I'll try to be as explicit as i can.

I can reach http://192.168.1.x:23424/mediabrowser/
I can reach http://localhost:23424/mediabrowser/
I can reach http://localhost:23424/mediabrowser/ from my local network
But I can't reach http://MyDDNSIp:23424/mediabrowser/ out of my local network
But I can't reach http://MyPublicIp:23424/mediabrowser/ out of my local network

Same with https port 23524.

Router rebooted many times in case of...

Ports are manually open, I even tried DMZ but no more Serviio reply anyway.

I tried to check my ports with a webservice like GRC (https://www.grc.com) and others but no luck with Serviio.
If I reverse for testing Serviio by a simple web server on same port, without any change into router, then, port looks open and web server works outside my local network.

Have a look on this screenshot:
I've set-up Port 21 open and server FTP: OK
Port 23424 and Serviio server: No response = Issue
Port 55555 is closed: No response = Normal

I did more tests with other servers to check if my isp closed some ports :
If I setup an FTP server like the web server I told about before, on port 23424, everything work like a charm so the issue doesn't come from my isp neither my router.
I also tried Serviio server on port 80 and 21 but no luck too.

And I tried with or without my IP in [External IP] field into console for same result.

I can see every softwares using UPnP in the router log and I never see Serviio, it acts like if there was no service.
UPnP is on but in my router's UPnP log, Serviio should be visible and it's not.

Normally, I should'nt use UPnP cause I manually opened ports:

but UPnP is useful to see in router's log if a software asked to open ports, so...
Is there a way to "force" Serviio to ask the router opening ports ?

I'm not newbie in network configuration, ports redirecting and so on, my problem is only with Serviio.

Serviio 2.0 regged / Win10 & Win7 / tested without any firewall.

Thanx for any help.

Last edited by TheFrenchy on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 pm

Re: Impossible to reach Serviio out of my network

You have to redirect the ports, not just open them on your router. Just as your uTorrent client has ports redirected, you must do the same for Serviio. Chances are uPnP didn't auto-configure the ports, so you have to do it manually. I have 23424 on my router port forwarded to my internal server at 192.168.0.2. Doesn't matter what the internal IP address is, but it has to match the Serviio PC. If you're not running a static IP address on your Serviio computer, that too could cause a problem if it changes and no longer matches the port forwarding configuration on your router. And I only forwarded the port for TCP, UDP wasn't necessary.

uPnP auto config has never worked for me, but then CenturyLink uses these cheap Actiontec DSL routers that only offer basic functionality. But it wasn't any big deal to configure it manually.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TheFrenchy

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 pm

atc98092 wrote:You have to redirect the ports, not just open them on your router. Just as your uTorrent client has ports redirected, you must do the same for Serviio. Chances are uPnP didn't auto-configure the ports, so you have to do it manually. I have 23424 on my router port forwarded to my internal server at 192.168.0.2. Doesn't matter what the internal IP address is, but it has to match the Serviio PC. If you're not running a static IP address on your Serviio computer, that too could cause a problem if it changes and no longer matches the port forwarding configuration on your router. And I only forwarded the port for TCP, UDP wasn't necessary.

uPnP auto config has never worked for me, but then CenturyLink uses these cheap Actiontec DSL routers that only offer basic functionality. But it wasn't any big deal to configure it manually.

Thanx but as I wrote,"Ports are manually open" (redirected OK).
And everything works with other server softwares if I set them up on 23424 port.
So my ports are redirected and my server machine has a static IP, the issue is elsewere.

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Sorry, I missed that. You included a lot of info, and that's a good thing. :D

Well, if ports are forwarded correctly, and there's no firewall issue on the Serviio box (unlikely if internal devices can see it no problem), then there's still something with the router. What that is, I have no idea. I have encountered issues with port forwarding in the past, but those generally just resolved themselves. And there's always the potential your ISP is blocking them, regardless of the GRE.com response. I did run into that once myself, but CenturyLink seems to have stopped that after I threatened going to the state Attorney General's office and file a complaint. Suddenly the issue they said wasn't happening just went away...
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

TheFrenchy

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:25 am

atc98092 wrote:.../...then there's still something with the router.../...

Unfortunately, I don't think so cause with exact same router's configuration, if I replace Serviio by another server software on port 12424, it works.
Tried on 3 different routers, the only app which doesn't want to serve is Serviio.

Few people use Internet broadcasting and so few people may encounter my problem and replicate it :(
<<

lucashickman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 14, 2021 5:24 pm

I too am having this same issue and all other services port correctly. PLEASE Help if not then ill need to request a refund. I bought it for this purpose.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 pm

lucashickman wrote:I too am having this same issue and all other services port correctly. PLEASE Help if not then ill need to request a refund. I bought it for this purpose.

You only need one port in your firewall open to access MediaBrowser from the Internet, and that is 23424. You must either have a static public IP address, or use a dynamic DNS provider to provide you with a URL that will connect to your router.

The URL you use must be accurate. In my case, my URL is http://*****.linkpc.net:23424/MediaBrowser. (No, I'm not putting my real URL on a public forum). If you have a static IP, use that in place of the FQDN I am using, but the port number must still be there, along with /MediaBrowser.

Exactly what do you see when you try to access Serviio from the Internet? Do you get the login page, or does nothing ever appear? If the latter, then there's something wrong with your router settings, or the URL you are using to access Serviio isn't working.

Test to ensure you can access MediaBrowser from within your firewall. Easy test, just try accessing it from any device (phone, tablet or PC) within your home network. Make sure you have the correct user name and password (assuming you are using Serviio 2.0 or 2.1), or just the password (all Serviio versions prior to 2.0).

When you're trying to reach Serviio over the Internet, make sure your URL isn't being blocked by whomever you're using to access the Internet. For example, if I try to reach my Serviio from my office, the IT department has a rule that blocks access to the linkpc.net domain, and there's nothing I can do to change that. Sheesh, you think they don't want me to watch movies while I'm working in the office. :D
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help