FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"push" streaming to Marantz from XP

<<

litljohnny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat May 16, 2020 4:58 pm

"push" streaming to Marantz from XP

I'm trying to stream music from a Windows XP(x86) laptop where Serviio is running to my Marantz UPnP-capable amp.

I can already kind of "pull" the streams using Marantz app in my iPhone which include a UPnP renderer. But the app is working really bad; that is each time I lose WiFi connection and reconnect, the streaming stops !
I also can use any other DLNA compatible app (e.g. mconnect player) to "pull" streams from XP and "play" to Marantz device. The problem is the same: whenever I go to the other side of the house and lose WiFi, it stops streaming which is normal because the app receive the streams from Windows XP and then send them to Marantz and in the way use my phone battery really fast!

So I'm looking for a soft on XP doing a kind of "push" the streams to Marantz without any app on my phone and/or Marantz asking for it. There is actually a program able to do that. This is "Stream What You Hear" (SWYH.exe). It gets every sound from PC and send it to a UPnP capable player device. Problem is it does NOT work on XP. It is supported for Vista and later.

Do you know any such program working on Windows XP ?

Or, do you know how could I stream directly from Serviio on Windows XP (which runs fine) to my Marantz amplifier without any other app in between ?

Or, is there any plugin inside Serviio able to do that ?

thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat May 16, 2020 6:53 pm

Re: "push" streaming to Marantz from XP

If your Marantz supports streaming from a DLNA server, then it should work fine with Serviio. can you provide the model number of your Marantz, so we can look it up?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

litljohnny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:28 am

Sure, my Marantz SR-5008 is fully DLNA (UpnP) compliant.

It has an app on iOS that controls the amp and includes (I guess) a DLNA "control point". I say control point (and not a client or renderer) because it connects to the serviio server running on a Windows XP, in order to send the streams to the Marantz amp, NOT the iOS device. But the interface is awkward, bad designed and misses some essential controls. Another problem is it drains my iPhone battery fast.

So I searched other DLNA control points (e.g. mconnect app on iOS) but even if the interface is better, it also drains my battery somehow fast.

Now, I'm wondering if I understood at all what UPnP control is about!

So my question:

Are the streams from Serviio server to the Marantz amp (final client/renderer) going through the control point (whatever app on iOS) or are they going directly from server to client. In other words, can I turn off my phone while the streaming continues ?
I hope so but then I couldn't explain why my battery drains fast and/or why each time I lose my WiFi signal (that is a disconnection from the control point app), it stops streaming.

I should add that the Windows XP hosting the Serviio server as well as the Marantz amp are all connected by Ethernet (no WiFi).

Many thanks for your help
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 19, 2020 1:09 pm

I've never played with control points, so can't speak from experience. But I understood that the controller is not in the datastream loop of the media, so you should be able to turn the phone off after playback begins. But again, I don't really know for sure.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help