FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung qe55q90r (No Resume play?)

<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Samsung qe55q90r (No Resume play?)

Hi I recently upgraded my Samsung tv and I noticed that resume play no longer works. My old Samsung used to remember the part I left when watching my media library

Now I have to try and find the place which is annoying

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fix?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Samsung qe55q90r (No Resume play?)

Resume play (as well as FF and rewind) depend on the file either not being transcoded, or transcoded into the HLS format. Also, some players are simply not supporting such functionality, even with non-transcoded files.

So, did Samsung change the player functionality, or is the wrong profile perhaps assigned to the TV in the Serviio profile? I can't say for sure, and I'm unfamiliar with that particular TV so I can't suggest what profile it should use. The latest Samsung profile (NU Series) might be a good starting point to test. Depending on your media, you might even get by with the generic profile, which transcodes nothing. One profile that does transcode into HLS format is the Roku 4K TV profile.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm

atc98092 wrote:Resume play (as well as FF and rewind) depend on the file either not being transcoded, or transcoded into the HLS format. Also, some players are simply not supporting such functionality, even with non-transcoded files.

So, did Samsung change the player functionality, or is the wrong profile perhaps assigned to the TV in the Serviio profile? I can't say for sure, and I'm unfamiliar with that particular TV so I can't suggest what profile it should use. The latest Samsung profile (NU Series) might be a good starting point to test. Depending on your media, you might even get by with the generic profile, which transcodes nothing. One profile that does transcode into HLS format is the Roku 4K TV profile.

It doesn’t work with any file. I’ve been using it for a while now. It used to work with every file with my old Samsung.

What do you mean by profile I had a look at the console and I can see my tv in the list and it’s green
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 26, 2020 9:30 pm

On the Serviio console, on the Status tab, you see your network devices in a list. As you noted, your Samsung is showing green. Look further to the right, and there's a column labeled Profile. That shows the profile that Serviio assigned to your TV. Since there's no profile that matches your TV, Serviio does a best guess. But usually it will just assign the generic profile. As I mentioned, that profile does no transcoding at all. If nothing will play, then none of your media is compatible with your TV and requires transcoding. But by doesn't work I assume you are referring to the trick play functions.

So, what profile is actually assigned to your TV? When you play something on the TV, refresh the Status tab. There will be a Now Playing icon next to the green indicator. If that icon is green, there nothing is being transcoded (audio or video), so if trick play isn't working then it's the TV and there's nothing Serviio can do about it.

If the playing icon is orange, then the file is being transcoded. If that's the case, then click Edit at the right edge of the entry for your TV and choose a different profile. But before you do that, let us know what profile is currently selected.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm

atc98092 wrote:On the Serviio console, on the Status tab, you see your network devices in a list. As you noted, your Samsung is showing green. Look further to the right, and there's a column labeled Profile. That shows the profile that Serviio assigned to your TV. Since there's no profile that matches your TV, Serviio does a best guess. But usually it will just assign the generic profile. As I mentioned, that profile does no transcoding at all. If nothing will play, then none of your media is compatible with your TV and requires transcoding. But by doesn't work I assume you are referring to the trick play functions.

So, what profile is actually assigned to your TV? When you play something on the TV, refresh the Status tab. There will be a Now Playing icon next to the green indicator. If that icon is green, there nothing is being transcoded (audio or video), so if trick play isn't working then it's the TV and there's nothing Serviio can do about it.

If the playing icon is orange, then the file is being transcoded. If that's the case, then click Edit at the right edge of the entry for your TV and choose a different profile. But before you do that, let us know what profile is currently selected.

Here’s an snapshot of the status bar maybe you can see. The media files all play fine It’s just the resume function that doesn’t work on this tv

My tv just says generic dlna profile so do I need to change that?
Last edited by Lex on Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 pm

OK, if it's the generic profile, and the TV won't resume, that means Samsung removed that functionality. There's nothing that can be done to change that from the Serviio side. Sorry, you're stuck with it.

If all your media plays with the generic profile, there's no reason to try another. Profiles allow playback of non-compatible files. If they all play, they're all compatible. :D
Dan

<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, if it's the generic profile, and the TV won't resume, that means Samsung removed that functionality. There's nothing that can be done to change that from the Serviio side. Sorry, you're stuck with it.

If all your media plays with the generic profile, there's no reason to try another. Profiles allow playback of non-compatible files. If they all play, they're all compatible. :D

Yea that’s what I feared. Strange that they would not include such a simple function that was on older Samsung TVs

I might have to stick with Plex I think that resumes
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Yes, Plex will resume. This isn't the first time I've seen a player lose functionality. My older Sony BD players would bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, but the last one I bought lost its DTS-MA support. No problem with standard DTS, but not the lossless audio. One of many reasons I now use an Nvidia Shield on both of my 4K TVs with an AVR attached. Full lossless audio, including Atmos/DTS:X from my UHD rips. And since it has a Gigabit port, it doesn't choke on the UHD rips, either.
Dan

<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 26, 2020 11:26 pm

atc98092 wrote:Yes, Plex will resume. This isn't the first time I've seen a player lose functionality. My older Sony BD players would bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, but the last one I bought lost its DTS-MA support. No problem with standard DTS, but not the lossless audio. One of many reasons I now use an Nvidia Shield on both of my 4K TVs with an AVR attached. Full lossless audio, including Atmos/DTS:X from my UHD rips. And since it has a Gigabit port, it doesn't choke on the UHD rips, either.

That’s pretty cool. I need to sort out the sound next. I currently have an outdated Samsung surround sound system which is fine for the time being. I just want something more powerful
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 am

Another user with a Samsung QLED set (Q80T) says that resume is working on his set. He is using the Samsung NU series profile. It can't hurt anything to try it. I can't for the life of me think of any reason the profile would make it work, but you can change from the generic profile as I described above and give it a shot.
Dan

<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:03 am

atc98092 wrote:Another user with a Samsung QLED set (Q80T) says that resume is working on his set. He is using the Samsung NU series profile. It can't hurt anything to try it. I can't for the life of me think of any reason the profile would make it work, but you can change from the generic profile as I described above and give it a shot.

Haha no way that actually worked! That’s awesome I’m really glad you told me to try that.

Thanks for that. Now I don’t have to remember where I was :)
<<

Lex

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 27, 2020 8:06 pm

atc98092 wrote: Samsung NU7100 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 18 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram.

Damn that’s a sick set up you have there. Nicely done.

Return to Serviio Support & Help