FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Movie Playback Problem After An Hour

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Movie Playback Problem After An Hour

Hi
I have had some issues with movies not playing correctly on my new Panasonic TV.
I stream the movies from my PC to the TV using Serviio.
The movies have the same issue when playing directly using the 1Gb streaming ethernet port and a USB3 flash drive, so I don't think this is related to Serviio.
Most of my movies play all the way through using x264, x265, MP4 movie formats and DD, DD+ audio formats. I add the DD tracks manually as the TV doesn't play TrueHD etc. and transcoding can lead to problems.
I will continue doing things this way as this method works for me.
Some of them play perfectly until about 50 minutes or so (towards an hour) when the sound continues to play in real time, but the video begins to stutter. By this I mean the sounds continues as if the movie is still playing OK and the action is still going on, but the video jumps between stills of about 1 second intervals.
Those that play always play, those that don't always don't. So the problem appears to be consistent with encoding of the video file.
I have looked at the movies using MediaInfo and can't see anything that would lead to a simple conclusion. For instance movies that don't play use the same video/audio as those that do.
I have tried Meteorite and the MKVToolnix 'Fix Bitsream Timing Info' but neither of these resolves the problem.
I would like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences and what they have done to overcome them.
Thanks in advance
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Re: Movie Playback Problem After An Hour

Moved this to the support and help section.

I've encountered similar issues before on rare occasions, and for me the only solution was to re-rip the media. Mine were all ripped movies, of course. I believe the problem ones were all Blu Ray. Sometimes the rip just doesn't come out clean and it doesn't seem that any tool can clean it up, short of performing a complete conversion using Handbrake or something similar. And even then, depending on the issue, Handbrake might not be able to repair it.

I have one right now that I need to re-do. The Martian gets about 40% through, then the video freezes while the audio continues. Stopping and resuming playback works with my Shield, but isn't always successful with other players.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 am

This happened to one of my videos that was fine for years and became corrupt. Luckily I found the same video even same encoding online and just downloaded a new copy.

Under Virtualdub I saw one single audio frame was turned into jibberish random data that didn't read as audio, and this stopped the video from being played where the anomily was on the track. It was ten minutes in to a pivotal twenty minutes dragon ball z episode where Krillen gathers lots of ki to kill all saibamen at once and everyone backs up from him and it freezes. Took me forever to figure out but it was from having it on a network share router that couldn't handle the processing of this task and corrupted random media (hooray use nas not this crapware).
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:10 am

For encoding I only use ffmpeg. It's command line but the results are flawless and the customization is more than anyone ever needs.

Handbrake and vlc and lots of popular software is built around this simple free open source tool.

So if your rip is movie.vob in ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i movie.vob -c:v libx264 -crf 23 movie.mp4

The i is for input, c:v is codec video, crf is quality, I use the range of 18 - 23 with 23 highest quality 18 fastest encode speed.

If you have a batch of files you can write a loop run it once and ffmpeg does it all automatically.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:16 am

This is the for loop I use on windows to turn a folder of vob files into xvid avi files that are smaller in size but still good quality.

for %%A IN (*.vob) DO ffmpeg -i "%%A" -c:v mpeg4 -vtag xvid -qscale:v 3 "%%A.avi"
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm

What I forgot to mention was that some of the 1080p files played OK using Serviio through my WDTVLive box.
I now stream directly through the TV and no longer have the box (or other streamer) to compare with.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:31 pm

anniebody wrote:What I forgot to mention was that some of the 1080p files played OK using Serviio through my WDTVLive box.
I now stream directly through the TV and no longer have the box (or other streamer) to compare with.

Still could be the same issue. Different players have different tolerances for problems like this. One player just cruises along fine, while another crashes.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help